Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Would you give up chocolate to stop child slavery in Africa?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-18 by Showtalk; 720 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jun-18

Would you give up chocolate to stop child slavery in Africa?
  • Yes, I am giving up all chocolate until slavery ends0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, I'm giving up Nestle for other companies that don't support slavery1  vote
    7%
  • No, our country isn't responsible for business practices elsewhere0  votes
    0%
  • No, it is too far removed and nothing we do here will stop slavery1  vote
    7%
  • No, our chocolate makers don't support slavery and it's too far removed0  votes
    0%
  • No, the African countries must clean up their immoral practices8  votes
    57%
  • More than one 3-72  votes
    14%
  • I don't eat chocolate2  votes
    14%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, I am giving up all chocolate until slavery ends 
Yes, I'm giving up Nestle for other companies that don't support slavery 
No, our country isn't responsible for business practices elsewhere 
No, it is too far removed and nothing we do here will stop slavery 
No, our chocolate makers don't support slavery and it's too far removed 
No, the African countries must clean up their immoral practices 
More than one 3-7 
I don't eat chocolate 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Jun-18

The Supreme Court said chocolate companies in the U.S. cannot be sued for slavery in Africa, which makes sense but people are upset that we did not make a stand against it. While everyone should be against both slavery and child abuse, there is an argument that Nestle didn’t cause either.  Justice Alito felt it needed further investigation before a vote was taken.  If we are against slavery, there are companies that make chocolate that don’t use cocoa obtained via slavery. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Jun-18

There are many products supposedly manufactured using indentured child labor.  Are there no other sources?  Can the U.S. do anything to stop other countries from exploiting children?  Do you check labels before buying items made elsewhere? Is it listed anywhere on items?  Do you even know?

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ilab/reports/child-labor/list-of-products?combine=&tid=All&field_exp_good_target_id=All&items_per_page=10&page=0

In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Jun-18

So many countries are listed.  Can we even know of them all?

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ilab/reports/child-labor/list-of-goods

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

Jun-19

Those smart phones are made by Chinese slaves.  Give up chocolate?  Let's see how many people give up their phones and go back to land lines.

Showtalk said:

There are many products supposedly manufactured using indentured child labor. Are there no other sources? Can the U.S. do anything to stop other countries from exploiting children?

The rabbit hole goes far too deep and the supply chain too long to trace out every milligram of cocoa in a final product all the way back to its origin, any more than we can trace back whether or not a few molecules of water in that captured rainwater were once evaporated as sweat from the back of a slave in the 1500s or one was expelled by Julius Caesar's last breath.

(fun statistical fact - it most likely does, as well as contains more than just a few molecules released from dying dinosaurs during the Chixulub event, and probably tens of thousands that were vaporized from the ocean during the asteroid strike.)

Showtalk
Host

Jun-19

Never! Unless they still have landlines.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-19

So why are manufacturers suddenly getting the brunt of the blame and responsibility to fix it?  Why aren’t other countries of the world trying to put pressure on other governments to stop it?  Shouldn’t children everywhere be valued? They are the future.

Dee (DLAINEDEE)

Jun-19

That just means people aren't really against slavery.  Most are only against it when it suites them.  How sad is that!