Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you side with the NCAA business model or the players?   The Pleasure Seeking You: Entertainment & Sports

Started Jun-21 by Showtalk; 4124 views.
Showtalk
Host

Aug-8

Somehow they make plans that never happen.  Too many don’t want those cars.

Showtalk said:

Somehow they make plans that never happen. Too many don’t want those cars.

And as long as there are masses who will never be able to afford them, and only the tiny number of ruling elites actually can, even if most people wanted them, the actual sales would be tiny because most people can't afford to drop $90k on something that loses all its value in less than 5 years.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-8

I read it’s almost I,possible to find electric car charging slots in big parking lots, as there few spaces that are always take.mi have visions of highways littered with e cars that died and can’t move or be charged.

WALTER784

Aug-9

Showtalk said...

I read it’s almost I,possible to find electric car charging slots in big parking lots, as there few spaces that are always take.mi have visions of highways littered with e cars that died and can’t move or be charged.

In the US perhaps, but in Japan, they're popping up all over the place. In convenience store parking lots, grocery store parking lots, department store parking lots, hotel parking lots, some gas stations, even on parking areas for toll roads so you don't have to get off to charge. Mind you... there's usually only 2 or 3 charging stations at each, but they will probably increase in number as more and more cars are sold.

But the even more important questions that needs to be looked at is...

Do you know that battery manufacturing at the scale needed to supply 100% all electric cars would have its own huge environmental impacts, and the phenomenal increase in demand for electricity would come at a time when Biden is also trying to force power companies to abandon fossil fuels.

FWIW

• Edited August 9, 2021 8:32 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk said:

Some of the "AAA" road rescue services have trailer mounted 50 kilowatt generators and long heavy welding cables connected to the appropriate charging connector, just for those cars stuck on the highway. When it gets bad enough, I presume that they just send a regular tow truck to haul the dead car off of the highway so it's no longer blocking traffic, to somewhere that there's a big generator. Oh, and of course those generators to do emergency road rescue rechargings run on diesel.

I think that technically since a generator is not directly propelling a vehicle on a public road, it can use "red diesel" (agricultural or off road diesel), which is diesel for which road taxes have not been paid.

So electric cars are a double whammy, really a triple one. There's the fuel the rescue vehicle has to burn, there's the fuel the generator has to burn to charge the car enough to get it to a charging station, and there's the fuel and man-hours of wasted productivity for the thousands of cars stuck behind the dead one trying to get around it, and in a high density place, probably a wreck or two caused by people busy updating Facebook status and not noticing that the traffic suddenly stopped ahead.

When traffic density is beyond a certain tipping point, a single stalled car can delay several thousand other cars for hours.

Figure what people's time is worth, and the cost of one Tesla out of juice on a freeway has a displaced cost onto everyone else of easily several million dollars.

WALTER784

Aug-10

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

Some of the "AAA" road rescue services have trailer mounted 50 kilowatt generators and long heavy welding cables connected to the appropriate charging connector, just for those cars stuck on the highway.

And they run on electric too? (* CHUCKLE *) Probably diesel or gas.

When it gets bad enough, I presume that they just send a regular tow truck to haul the dead car off of the highway so it's no longer blocking traffic, to somewhere that there's a big generator. Oh, and of course those generators to do emergency road rescue rechargings run on diesel.

Ah... there's the answer... they require fuel (diesel in this case) themselves. So there's no way in the near future that we can all convert to entirely electric cars and do away with gas/diesel completely.

And where do those charging stations which the electric cars are charged at get their electricity from? Coal/oil mixture powered electricity plants or nuclear plants?

So electric cars are a double whammy, really a triple one. There's the fuel the rescue vehicle has to burn, there's the fuel the generator has to burn to charge the car enough to get it to a charging station, and there's the fuel and man-hours of wasted productivity for the thousands of cars stuck behind the dead one trying to get around it, and in a high density place, probably a wreck or two caused by people busy updating Facebook status and not noticing that the traffic suddenly stopped ahead.

Yep... bingo...

It would be better if all private jets and helicopters were banned. They burn more fuel per person than large jet liners! That would drastically reduce the U.S.'s energy footprint drastically. Probably more than every car driver changing to 100% electric car which is unfeasible at the moment. However banning all private jets/helicopters IS FEASIBLE and doable today!

When traffic density is beyond a certain tipping point, a single stalled car can delay several thousand other cars for hours.

Figure what people's time is worth, and the cost of one Tesla out of juice on a freeway has a displaced cost onto everyone else of easily several million dollars.

And there is the bottom line: Electric cars cannot entirely replace all gas guzzlers today.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-10

Yes I’ve heard that about the batteries. We are obsessed with oil,but should also take a hard look at battery manufacturing and effects on the environment, as well as costs.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-10

They don’t care about costs in time which says they aren’t serious about it.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-10

Politicians and famous celebrities can’t support private plane bans. How would they get around?

WALTER784

Aug-10

Showtalk said...

Yes I’ve heard that about the batteries. We are obsessed with oil,but should also take a hard look at battery manufacturing and effects on the environment, as well as costs.

We should? At this stage in the game? We are way past that point.

We already have taken a look at it. And the results were that we cannot go totally electric at this time.

Thus the green new deal and push for all eco-friendly... is NOT read for the technology at hand.

We will continue to require fossil fuel for at least the next 15 ~ 20 years if not longer. So stopping oil production, oil imports, etc. will only exacerbate the situation into a worse scenario!

Attempting to do anything else prematurely will ultimately end in failure!

FWIW