Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should our desert communities make water from air?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Jun-30 by Showtalk; 8313 views.
Showtalk
Host

Jul-6

I was turned off to wind generators when I found they kill birds.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-6

I’ve never had a $500 electric bill.  It’s not anywhere near that expensive vs the high initial cost of solar.  I also don’t want them on the roof.

WALTER784

Jul-6

I just used $500/mo. as an example.

So change it to $300, $200, $100 or what ever your bills are and recalculate it.

As for not wanting them on your roof... (* GRIN *) Yes... I can understand that.

I looked at numerous solar panels for several years and then contacted the company that built my house. They said that they recommended the Toshiba ones I currently have. In fact, they sold them and thus we had the company that built our house get their construction workers to put it up on my house. They first went up inside of the roof of my house to confirm that there were no leaks... which there were not. And as it's their roof, they know how it's constructed and the best way to mount it on the roof.

Actual construction took about 3 days and they painted the entire roof before mounting the panels too. They said that the panels themselves would help protect the roof underneath them too.

First they bold rails to the roof where they mount the panels. Then they mount the panels on those rails. They're quite sturdy too. Mounted to withstand a 6.5 magnitude earthquake and a Category 5 typhoon too.

FWIW

Solar concentrators do too.  There ain't no such thing as a free lunch when it comes to the modern world versus critters. Probably not anywhere as many as modern transportation systems do.

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
To prove to the armadillo that it CAN be done.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

Showtalk said:

I also don’t want them on the roof.

I've been watching them go onto roofs everywhere around here.

There is a trick to reduce the waste heat, that is still being tweaked for performance. One is a selective wavelength reflective / transmissive paint. It passes only the actual wavelengths of light that solar cells convert to electricity. It strongly reflects the rest.

Another is a new type of "layered" multi technology photovoltaic system. These use transparent solar cells that operate at different wavelengths than silicon cells, and extract power that silicon can't convert very well.

What is left passes through to the silicon layer. Some experiments suggest that almost 40% efficiency is theoretically possible.

Combined with something to reflect the unusable wavelengths much as leaves do (they absorb specific parts of red and blue light and strongly reflect the unneeded green and infrared), we could significantly reduce temperatures beneath photovoltaic panels and increase the overall albedo of those parts of the planet.

The most effective materials to do highly selective color reflectivity vs transmissivity are not pigments at all, but are nanoscale structures which behave at visible / infrared wavelengths very much like how tuned resonant cavities work for repeater transcievers and extremely selective radio frequency filters.

Some of these materials whose physical structure acts like a highly selective light filter could achieve unheard of efficiency.

Then there is the two-photon and other ratio excitation to emission classes of materials, which also involve phenomena much like frequency doublers and triplers used in RF electronics but at optical wavelengths.

So I think solar panels are about to get much, much more efficient in the near future. Of course with all the NIMBY phenomena here and regulatory hamstringing, we'll probably have to just buy them from our Chinese overlords.

speaking of NIMBY hamstringing our own infrastructure maintenance and costing us trillions,

https://www.vox.com/22534714/rail-roads-infrastructure-costs-america

The level of dysfunction is going to destroy the nation.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-7

It would destroy the existing roof.  It happened to neighbors. You can see patches all over it now.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-7

But isn’t the point of using wind turbines to save the environment?  Aren't those dead birds part of the environment ecosystem?

Showtalk
Host

Jul-7

I will wait for the more efficient models.  Thank you for the excuse.

WALTER784

Jul-8

Showtalk said...

It would destroy the existing roof.  It happened to neighbors. You can see patches all over it now.

I guess it depends on the construction of the roof and the contractors who mount it on the roof.

Why would patches be required? The ones I have installed on my roof have rails bolted to the roof and panels mounted to the rails.

So if I were to remove the panels, the rails will still be remaining. And if I unbolt the rails and remove them, all I have to do is screw the bolts back in and no patchwork required what so ever.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-8

They damaged the existing roof when they installed it. Rather than reroof, they patched it. The old roofing materials changed color from the sun.  It doesn’t matter if the pitch of the roof is such that you can’t see it from the street, but if you can, it looks bad.