Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should our desert communities make water from air?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Jun-30 by Showtalk; 8210 views.
WALTER784

Jul-20

Bad construction which gives bad solar panel energy creation.

Depending on how they were mounted and how much it would cost to face them South... it may or may not be worth the cost.

But it's stupid to erect them facing North in the first place. Didn't the owners say anything?

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-20

I remember that unexpected snow storm.

WALTER784 said:

But it's stupid to erect them facing North in the first place. Didn't the owners say anything?

I don't know who lives there - it's just a random house on the way to and from work.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had no idea. I've seen plenty of evidence where people are incredibly clueless about how their infrastructure works.

Showtalk said:

I remember that unexpected snow storm.

And the lawsuits keep on hitting the electric reliability board and similar outfits about as fast as bird crap on cars parked beneath the power lines when all the grackles roost at the mall.

WALTER784

Jul-20

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

It wouldn't surprise me if they had no idea. I've seen plenty of evidence where people are incredibly clueless about how their infrastructure works.

It's mind boggling to say the least that we have so many stupid people living among us these days.

In the not too distant future, we need to change the thinking about "wearing the stupid sign" to "wearing the I'm not stupid sign" once the stupids become the majority! (* GULP *)

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

In the not too distant future, we need to change the thinking about "wearing the stupid sign" to "wearing the I'm not stupid sign" once the stupids become the majority! (* GULP *)

Brawndo. It's got electrolytes!

One of the few movies made since 2000 that I have seen. "Idiocracy".

WALTER784

Jul-21

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

One of the few movies made since 2000 that I have seen. "Idiocracy".

I've heard about it but not seen it.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-21

Were people seriously harmed by the outages?

• Edited July 21, 2021 6:19 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk said:

Were people seriously harmed by the outages?

Yes. 111 confirmed deaths and billions in property damage.

most of the deaths were carbon monoxide poisoning and hypothermia. Quite a few died in cars idling trying to get warm or charge their phones to have communication as the power stayed out for days.

Some were found frozen to death in their beds, wrapped in all the blankets they could possibly find, with indoor temperatures well below freezing because so many homes were built as "total electric".

Others were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning from bringing barbecue grilles and other things indoors and lighting them in a desperate attempt to keep from freezing.

And then finally around Friday the 19th, temperatures climbed above freezing and things thawed all over the state. That is when the property damage went through the roof.

A lot of "McMansions" were built with almost no insulation, and water pipes were all in the exterior walls. During days without heat, these pipes froze solid. As any first semester chemistry student knows, water is one of the rare substances that expands, rather forcefully, as it freezes.

Elemental bismuth is one of the others, which forms incredibly iridescent crystal patterns due to the expansion as it solidifies.

Well, as pipes thawed, municipal water systems suddenly had demand of tens of millions of gallons per minute. They couldn't maintain enough water pressure to maintain a sanitary system, which led to the boil water notices.

But that water wasn't coming out of faucets. It sprayed out of burst pipes in the walls of hundreds of thousands of homes. Many people had fled in their cars and now came home to a flooded house. It ruined drywall. It mildewed carpet It quickly promoted the growth of black mold.

Many houses are still, months later, uninhabitable.

Every bit of pipe and plumbing fittings were sold out by the end of February, and there remain shortages even now.

There are people who lost fingers, toes, parts of their noses and lips to frostbite. Some developed respiratory problems from which they have not recovered.

so the lawsuits are easily mounting into the tens of billions of dollars in property damage alone, and uncounted more in bodily injury / medical bills.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-30

That was very serious considering it was a freak snowstorm.