Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should spectators be allowed at the Tokyo Olympics?   The Pleasure Seeking You: Entertainment & Sports

Started Jul-9 by Showtalk; 2707 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jul-9

Should spectators be allowed at the Tokyo Olympics?
  • No, it is too dangerous given the potential for Covid outbreaks6  votes
    37%
  • Yes, families, friends and fans should be allowed to watch3  votes
    18%
  • Yes, it will harm the local economy0  votes
    0%
  • 2 and 33  votes
    18%
  • They should postpone the Olympics until it's safe4  votes
    25%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
No, it is too dangerous given the potential for Covid outbreaks 
Yes, families, friends and fans should be allowed to watch 
Yes, it will harm the local economy 
2 and 3 
They should postpone the Olympics until it's safe 
Other 
WALTER784

Jul-10

I voted no.

The entire Olympics should have been postponed another year.

As of yesterday Jul 9, 2021, Tokyo just went into lockdown again until Aug 20th because the number of COVID cases have increased recently from 600 some odd to 800 ~ 900 per day.

Only 36% of the Japanese people have had both vaccinations because they didn't start vaccinating until Apr 2021. And even now, Jul 2021, they are only offering the vaccinations to those 65 and older.

What do Olympics usually bring? Literally hundreds of thousands of fans/visitors who come for the Olympics. Many arrive early and travel throughout Japan. Many stay after the Olympics and travel throughout Japan.

Under lockdown, there is no traveling throughout Japan. That means a major revenue loss. And even if they allowed fans into the stadiums and watching from near by, they would be limited to less than half capacity. Which means even more revenue loss.

But during lockdown, not even the Japanese are able to go to the Olympics so why should families and friends be alllowed. In fact, why should the Olympians themselves be allowed to perform during such a lockdown?

That's why I initially said they should have postponed the Olympics for another year as was proposed by the previous Olympic head Mr. Mori last year. He initially spoke with IOC heads to have the Olympics postponed for 2 years.

FWIW

• Edited July 10, 2021 6:22 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jul-13

I also think they should have been postponed.  I didn’t realize travel isn’t allowed yet. They should have announced it sooner, though.

WALTER784

Jul-13

Showtalk said...

I also think they should have been postponed.  I didn’t realize travel isn’t allowed yet. They should have announced it sooner, though.

They still haven't determined whether the opening ceremony will be spectator-less or not yet. They hope to make that statement either the end of this week or next week.

Over the past 4.5 years, Japan has spent $14.5 Billion constructing the pavilions, stadiums, new train stations near where the events are to take place, constructing new hotels near the areas where spectators can stay, re-paving the roads to keep the heat down for the marathons, etc. with multiple setbacks in the process.

Over 95% of the sold tickets have been reimbursed and all planned public viewing sites have been closed and will not be open during the games.  And even if they allow spectators, they're discussing whether to allow 5,000 ~ 10,000 or not... much much much less than the expected almost full seating!

I've heard through the Japanese grape vine that China has been pushing the IOC for them to have the Olympics this year rather than postponing it another year to purposefully hurt Japan's economy.

FWIW

• Edited July 13, 2021 9:46 pm  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jul-13

It’s going to hurt the economy whether they hold them or not.  The real money is in sales of items and services to visitors.

WALTER784

Jul-14

Showtalk said...

The real money is in sales of items and services to visitors.

Yep... empty/cancelled hotels, cancelled tours, cancelled airline tickets, cancelled restaurant reservations, cancelled tour buses, canceled events, canceled everything except the Olympics for the Olympians and their staff.

And should they decide on no spectators, those Olympians will not be able to see their once in a lifetime chance of full stadiums with hundreds of thousands of onlookers all around them too.

And I just heard yesterday that there was one American Olympian who had not yet been vaccinated and didn't want to be vaccinated prior to the Olympics too.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-15

When the world gets to make decisions and for and pass judgment in everyone, it doesn't go so well. No matter what Japan decides, they will be criticized.

WALTER784

Jul-15

Showtalk said...

When the world gets to make decisions and for and pass judgment in everyone, it doesn't go so well. No matter what Japan decides, they will be criticized.

B-I-N-G-O... we have a winner.

And that's exactly why One World Order will NOT be good for any country!

Ever heard of the Great Reset or the Global Reset?

There will be one group of people in the world who make decisions for all countries should it ever come into play.

And they way current administration is taking us... that might be in the not too distant future!

Each country should have their own autonomy in what happens in their country!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-15

The EU tried the great experiment.

WALTER784

Jul-15

Showtalk said...

The EU tried the great experiment.

Yep... and Brittan took the Brexit while the rest of the countries are still stuck in the EU.

Several years ago when the refugees from the Middle East started to come across their borders... each and every country in the EU wanted to set up their borders to keep the influx from coming in, but they were unable to!

And they're all paying the price for it now. Increased crimes, murders and rapes. Settlement areas in various places through the EU where these Middle Eastern refugees stay are more or less lawless and police themselves don't even want to go inside those areas.

FWIW

• Edited July 15, 2021 9:01 pm  by  WALTER784