Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The 1957 spaghetti harvest - a cautionary tale about misinformation today   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jul-25 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 233 views.

First, the actual 1957 April Fools prank that aired on the BBC right at the end of the news.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVo_wkxH9dU

----

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/04/that-time-the-bbc-fooled-its-audience-into-thinking-spaghetti-grew-on-trees/

The BBC came in for a fair bit of criticism for its decision to air a prank segment at the end of an otherwise serious news program. But Wheeler, who wrote the script, remained unrepentant, telling the BBC in 2004, "I think it was a good idea for people to be aware they couldn't believe everything they saw on the television and that they ought to adopt a slightly critical attitude to it."

The world has changed a lot since 1957, and the rapid spread of misinformation across the Internet, especially via social media, means more people than ever are exposed to pranks, hoaxes, conspiracy theories, and outright lies on a daily basis. In the midst of a pandemic, that can cost lives.

WALTER784

Jul-26

LOL...

I've never heard that one before but it's hilarious to say the least. Well that was a year before I was born too!

Do you think they might have had a tip from Orson Wells?

Orson Welles - War Of The Worlds - Radio Broadcast 1938 - Complete Broadcast.

FWIW

WALTER784

Jul-26

And then there's this one from about 9 years ago...

Marshmallow Farming

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-26

It’s hilarious anyone fell for it. They do not know pasta.

It probably was tempered some by the fallout from the Welles broadcast.