Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

High School Reunions...   The Social You: Interactive

Started Jul-26 by WALTER784; 477 views.
WALTER784

Poll Question From WALTER784

Jul-26

High School Reunions...
  • Never attended one8  votes
    57%
  • Attended only once3  votes
    21%
  • Attended a few times2  votes
    14%
  • Attend regularly1  vote
    7%
  • Other (Please explain)0  votes
    0%
Never attended one 
Attended only once 
Attended a few times 
Attend regularly 
Other (Please explain) 
In reply toRe: msg 1
WALTER784

Jul-26

I graduated high school in 1976.

They had a 10 year reunion in 1986 but back then, the internet and E-mails were just taking off and thus I didn't get notification about mine.

But I did attend the 20 year, 30 year and 40 year reunions and plan on attending the 50 year reunion in 2026!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-26

You must still have friends there.

WALTER784

Jul-26

Plenty of them. And now, thanks to the internet and E-mail, we all keep in contact regularly as well.

Not sure how many we had at our 20 year reunion.

Our 30 year reunion we had almost 800 people attend.

Our 40 year reunion we had over 600 people attend.

We have a team of 8 planners and they always start preparations at least a year in advance. We rent out an entire hotel right on the beach for 3 days. It's all a blast from the past.

People check in on the first day (check-in time is as you please) for the evening ice breaker. If you check in early, you can just walk out on the sands in back of the hotel to the beach. The hotel also has a pool too.

The first event starts at 6PM. We all get together at the hotel for a light meal, drinks and then from 8PM, they start running shuttle buses from the hotel to the main street strip (only 10 minutes away) which is filled with clubs, bars and restaurants right at the entrance to the main beach. The main strip is where we all hung out back when we were in high school. They have 3 or 4 shuttle buses running about 15 minutes apart in a circle. 4 of the buses run until midnight and then they drop it off to 2 buses until 2AM. If you don't make the last bus, you can walk back in about 40 minutes or take a taxi (at your own expense).

Second day, most of us go out to the beach but some just stay around the pool or go out shopping/driving. Then in the evening, we have the main dinner party. We rent out an entire Yacht Club Club House and have caterers take care of the foodstuff. From 6AM to 8PM, you have to buy your own drinks, but from somewhere between 8PM and 9PM, our football quarterback and class president usually steps up to the mic and says... "for the rest of the evening... the drinks are on me!" We have a live band playing music from the 70's that we all listened to when we were in school as well.

Third day, we all check out as we please... some leave early in the morning while most others scatter their departure between 10AM and 4PM. I've heard that a few stay for another night or two, but I've always left before noon on the 3rd day.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-30

800 is as big as some entire high schools!

WALTER784

Jul-30

Showtalk said...

800 is as big as some entire high schools!

Our graduating class was 1200+ students back in 1976 when I graduated.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-2

That is huge!

WALTER784

Aug-2

Showtalk said...

That is huge!

Yep... it took for ever and a year for them to hand out all the graduation certificates.

Our graduation song was Seals & Crofts - We May Never Pass This Way Again

But after hearing it play the 70th time or more for all the graduates to get their certificates we were all tired of hearing it! (* LOL *)

FWIW

• Edited August 2, 2021 9:46 pm  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Aug-2

They should have cut the music.

WALTER784

Aug-3

Showtalk said...

They should have cut the music.

LOL... perhaps... but it was our graduation song and they wanted to play it until the last person received their certificate.

Guess we should have looked for a 20 minute long song... as an after thought, but I think most songs are 3 ~ 5 or 6 minutes max.

FWIW