Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gender Ideology Run Amok June/July 2021   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jul-31 by WALTER784; 2730 views.
WALTER784

Aug-7

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

we talked seriously about stringing up nearly 2,500 feet of Cat--6 cable, most of it vertical, to a mountain summit overlooking a remote mountain camp, to set up and align a 6 foot parabolic dish
Category 6A cable allows 10GBASE-T to be run for up to 100-metre (330 ft) maximum distance before requiring it to be repeated with a booster. To go 2,500 feet would just be too expensive with all the intermediary repeaters.

You should consider using fiber optic which you can run for anywhere from several kilometers to 100 kilometers depending on the type of laser used.

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

To go 2,500 feet would just be too expensive with all the intermediary repeaters.

I suggested another frequency pair in the 5.6 ghz band, using a 16 inch dish hanging out over the cliff face aimed down into the canyon, then about 100 feet of Cat-6 cable, to another transciever / router on the 4 foot dish on another frequency pair, and with the dishes facing away from one another and with a ridge between them, we figured there would be no interference.

With all the pandemic disruptions, if enough of the original technical folks can be gathered along with the bean counters, maybe the project can eventually get going again.

eta - the dish aimed into the canyon would probably have to be mounted on a steel frame that extends back some distance onto the top of the cliff, and then run some galvanized or stainless steel cable further up the slope to a safe anchor point, or even run as much anchor cable as Cat-6 to connect the two and put the anchor on the other side of the summit ridge, with something we can put a half ton of rock into that even hurricane force winds wouldn't be able to dislodge the downward aimed dish sending it plummeting some 1900 feet down the cliff face into the canyon.

The terrain has stability issues near the edge, so to install that dish requires some technical climbing skills to access the site.

WALTER784

Aug-7

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

then about 100 feet of Cat-6 cable, to another transciever / router

Cat-6 cable outside will eventually corrode after about 3 ~ 5 years depending on humidity. Fiber optical cable is relative inexpensive and it doesn't corrode. Of course, you would have to place the transceivers/routers in a weatherproof casing though. Some directly attach them behind the actual parabola antenna itself while others conceal that weatherproof casing in an opening created in the concrete base to hold the devices.

But if you're going to use Cat-6 up to 100 feet would be no problem, but I recommend Cat-6a and not just plain Cat-6!

FWIW

• Edited August 7, 2021 4:15 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Aug-7

I wasn’t sure what happened to AOL. They should be able to get internet connections for everyone somehow.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-7

A child was suspended from school for having an antique gun on his wall during a school zoom session.  Parents are shocked by how badly some teachers are teaching, even beyond content.  This last year has been good in that sense that they are finally seeing how their children are treated in classrooms. There are good teachers and there are very bad ones.

I figured, get something up and running to do a dog and pony show. Then eventually upgrade stuff once it's proven to work and get the bean counters to write a bigger check.

WALTER784

Aug-8

Showtalk said...

A child was suspended from school for having an antique gun on his wall during a school zoom session.

I read about that in the news... wasn't there another one with a either the Confederate Flag or a picture of Trump in the background that the teachers suspended them for too?

Showtalk said...

Parents are shocked by how badly some teachers are teaching, even beyond content.  This last year has been good in that sense that they are finally seeing how their children are treated in classrooms.

Yes, sad to say... but the home schooling has opened a lot of parents eyes into what's going on with the teaching of their children.

You would think that the teachers would love to bring their kids back to school so that the normal indoctrination could continue but with teachers unions continuing to push for schools to be closed... they're working against each other. (* LOL *)

Showtalk said...

There are good teachers and there are very bad ones.

There are a lot of bad teachers and very very very few good teachers. Most of the schools have weeded out the non-liberal teachers to more easily further their agenda. Most of the good teachers are in private schools.

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

I read about that in the news... wasn't there another one with a either the Confederate Flag or a picture of Trump in the background that the teachers suspended them for too?

And I heard that when that story came out, in response, a lot of kids got a light gray blanket to hang up behind them to block the view of anything in the background shortly afterwards - and a few of the more well-off ones actually hung a theatrical chroma key green screen behind them to insert any fake background they wanted to.

and I can't blame them. In today's cancel culture environment, the safest route is to be as plain and ordinary as possible - much like one sees in old pictures taken in the Soviet Union of crowds and such. No one wanted to do anything to stand out and possibly draw the attention of the KGB.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-8

I can understand people being upset at a confederate flag, but still, I would guess most kids have one for historical value, not because they favor slavery. Or just because they have one. We never see them here so it’s not even an issue. Really? Suspended for a picture of the sitting President?  That is really extreme.  They can hate him or like him but it’s not their business if someone has a picture in their bedroom.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-8

It’s sad they can’t be who they are in their own homes.