Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gender Ideology Run Amok June/July 2021   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jul-31 by WALTER784; 2722 views.
WALTER784

Aug-8

Showtalk said...

I can understand people being upset at a confederate flag, but still, I would guess most kids have one for historical value, not because they favor slavery. Or just because they have one. We never see them here so it’s not even an issue. Really? Suspended for a picture of the sitting President?  That is really extreme.  They can hate him or like him but it’s not their business if someone has a picture in their bedroom.

I'm from Florida... I've seen Confederate flags all over the place since I was growing up. Many of the NASCAR cars had pictures of the Confederate flag on the side or tops of their cars too at the Daytona Firecracker 400 race.

From the 1960's thru 2000... nobody really paid any attention to it... in fact, nobody even considered it to be connected to slavery until the past 5 ~ 10 years when it started being hit as being racist or a sign of slavery.

Just another part of the cancel culture. And then once they deemed that flag racist/slavery related... then they started attacking, defacing and destroying all those monuments if there was a Confederate flag among them or they were some how connected with the Confederate flag.

I was going to look up the one about a student getting suspended for having a picture of Trump in the background but I see that you've already found it.

That too is part of their cancel culture... Bad man, orange man, nazi racist, just seeing a picture of him offended many due to their indoctrination.

The same with guns... just the sight of not only a gun, but a cookie with several bites taken out of it might look like a gun and a kid get suspended.

It all starts with our public school system and needs to end, but I don't see any end in sight!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-8

And yet people on all sides have guns. It’s not a Republican thing.  I think ultimately that is why there isn’t full out gun control. Democrats would have to give theirs up too. And there are many Republicans who don’t own them and don’t want them.

Yes it is a shame.

But it's straight out of "1984". Winston Smith had to be careful to not be in the field of view of the telescreens, because the Thought Police were watching.

Those are from about a year ago. I wonder what the outcome has been in the intervening year?

Showtalk
Host

Aug-10

Robert Dailyda is a doctoral student in education at Stockton University. On July 1, 2020, Dailyda used a photograph of former President Trump as his Zoom background for his virtual class, prompting complaints from other students in a private GroupMe chat after class. He subsequently took to Facebook to defend his political views, saying that “I’m ready to fight to the death for our country and against those that want to take it down.” The university administration claimed that students found the Zoom background, comments in the GroupMe chat, and Facebook post “offensive, threatening, and concerning.”

On July 16, 2020, Stockton charged Dailyda with violating the code of conduct for disruptive behavior, harassment, creating a hostile environment, causing harm, and cyberbullying. At a pre-hearing interview on July 31, an administrator listed potential sanctions for the charges, including suspension, a fine, community service project, social justice workshop, and decision making workshop. On August 7, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education sent a letter to Stockton that “remind[ed] Stockton administrators that the First Amendment protects offensive expression and that Dailyda’s expression d[id] not constitute discriminatory harassment.” On August 19, Stockton dropped all charges against Dailyda

Showtalk said:

On August 19, Stockton dropped all charges against Dailyda

Because he had some folks with clout and expertise who had his back.

Otherwise the kangaroo court at the university would have railroaded him and that would have been the end of his time at the university - much like likely happens hundreds to thousands of times per semester all over the country to those who don't push back fast and quick.

Showtalk
Host

Aug-10

They can’t graduate conservative PhDs.

Showtalk said:

They can’t graduate conservative PhDs.

Not in the US.

Not any more.

Actually a PhD these days is more of a liability in terms of available jobs, and salary levels and overall employability. It just provides more of a mismatch between the skillsets people are digging themselves hundreds of thousands in debt to acquire, and the skillsets needed to earn a living wage in the modern world.