Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How many languages can you speak?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Jul-31 by WALTER784; 491 views.
WALTER784

Poll Question From WALTER784

Jul-31

How many languages can you speak?
  • 118  votes
    62%
  • 22  votes
    6%
  • 35  votes
    17%
  • 42  votes
    6%
  • 51  vote
    3%
  • 60  votes
    0%
  • Other1  vote
    3%
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
WALTER784

Jul-31

I speak 3 languages fluently and a little bit of 2 other languages.

I speak English, German and Japanese fluently.

Born and raised in the U.S. Mother was German and my wife is Japanese.

I also speak a little bit of French and Spanish.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-2

I knew about your language expertise but I’m surprised so far all other votes are for 1.  I am going to run a promo.

WALTER784

Aug-2

Showtalk said...

I’m surprised so far all other votes are for 1.

I'm not surprised at all.

Of the over 4,000 English native-speaking friends/acquaintances I've made over the past 40 some odd years, only 30 some odd speak a 2nd language.

However, approximately 80% or more of all the friends/acquaintances from non-English speaking countries I've made over the past 40 some odd years speak at least a second language (usually English) and some speak even more.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-2

They learn English in their schools.

WALTER784

Aug-2

Showtalk said...

They learn English in their schools.

So do we... therefore, we should make learning a 2nd language mandatory. With so many Latino people living in the US, one would think that Spanish would be a useful language.

As my mother was German, she spoke German and French and learned English when she immigrated to the US. My dad spoke English and German too. I was taught both English and German from age 3. 

And when I visited my mother's relatives in Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg. Belgium and Luxembourg speak Flemmish (a mixture of German and French), and so I picked up quite a bit of French as well. 

Living in Central Florida, Spanish could be heard all over the place and so in the 6th grade, for those who wanted to learn, they offered 1 year of Spanish. 

And finally, I arrived in Japan and started picking it up too. And now, I actually speak two different dialects of Japanese as well. The standard Tokyo Japanese and then the Kansai-ben as they call it which is quite frequently used in areas around Osaka, Japan. 

I also speak a few words in Korean, Chinese, Hebrew and Croatian, but cannot really hold any kind of conversation due to my limited vocabulary.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-2

Most high schools have a language requirement for graduation.

Clothahump

Aug-7

Native English speaker, learned German in high school, learned Indonesian when I lived in Indonesia for a while.