Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Science Killed Itself Over COVID-19   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Sep-15 by WALTER784; 8232 views.
WALTER784 said:

In 1978, I was onboard a Navy Guided Missile Cruiser north of Japan off the coast of the Russian Islands (in international waters of course), but the temperature was -40 degrees

and the sea hadn't frozen? I'd have thought you'd need to be onboard an icebreaker.

WALTER784

Nov-16

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

WALTER784 said:

In 1978, I was onboard a Navy Guided Missile Cruiser north of Japan off the coast of the Russian Islands (in international waters of course), but the temperature was -40 degrees

and the sea hadn't frozen? I'd have thought you'd need to be onboard an icebreaker.

Not in the area we were at... there were small chunks of floating ice, but nothing that we had to break through. It was somewhere around where the red circle is drawn below, but it was in international waters:

FWIW

Watching for the Russkies to blink first.

Not too far from where KAL 007 was shot down.

WALTER784

Nov-19

Actually, KAL 007 was a little further south and west of that circle I drew. 

They were borderline international airspace on the left side of the Sea of Japan and very close to USSR airspace when they got plugged.

We had a tail of two Russian trawlers that were anything but trawlers with all the radio antennas they had sticking up off of it. 

When they came past the 1000 feet marker, we had a battle stations call... this is not... I repeat... this is not a drill... battle station call blast over the speakers on our ship. We all rushed to our respective assigned areas and did what we needed to do to prepare for battle. We radioed them, but they didn't respond, we warned the several times, but they just kept getting closer... when they got to the 500 feet marker, we fired two 3.5" shells from our front turret over their bow and had our 6" barrels pointed directly at them. We warned that if they didn't immediately distance themselves from our ship that they would be blown out of the water.

At that time, we had patriot missiles, tomahawk missiles and talos missiles ready to fire as well.

After shooting over their bow... they immediately veered from their course and distanced themselves from us.

FWIW

• Edited November 19, 2021 3:20 am  by  WALTER784
WALTER784 said:

We had a tail of two Russian trawlers that were anything but trawlers with all the radio antennas they had sticking up off of it.

Trawlers, trawling for electromagnetic radiation based "invisible fish" they were hoping to catch.

WALTER784 said:

When they came past the 1000 feet marker, we had a battle stations call... this is not... I repeat... this is not a drill... battle station call blast over the speakers on our ship. We all rushed to our respective assigned areas and did what we needed to do to prepare for battle. We radioed them, but they didn't respond, we warned the several times, but they just kept getting closer... when they got to the 500 feet marker, we fired two 3.5" shells from our front turret over their bow and had our 6" barrels pointed directly at them. We warned that if they didn't immediately distance themselves from our ship that they would be blown out of the water.

1000 feet is about 1/4 of the way to my mailbox from the house. 500 feet is not much further than house to pump hose. Throw in the length of the vessels and such, against the backdrop of the vastness of the high seas, that's more than too close.

WALTER784

Nov-26

Yes... it was too close... like I said, the Captain called for battle stations which is the highest readiness state in the Navy... it's basically a call to "get ready for war"! And they repeated that it was not a drill twice and then called battle stations again.

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

the Captain called for battle stations which is the highest readiness state in the Navy... it's basically a call to "get ready for war"! And they repeated that it was not a drill twice and then called battle stations again.

I wonder how many times the cold war got within a razor's edge of full blown nuclear war that may not be declassified during our lifetimes.

As a pre-teen I already had assumed the worst case scenarios - whatever government was hiding was probably going to be very bad, so it was best to assume the worst and act accordingly just because they were very opaque.

Thus, as a 12 year old I had my bedroom wall covered with aviation sectional charts that had been carefully cut and joined on the edges to form a huge contiguous map of the entire CONUS. Then I had drawn concentric circles around all the major metropolitan areas over 1 million population. About a 25 mile radius of the city centers were filled in with red high-lighter. 25 to 50 mile radius was orange, and 50 to 100 mile radius was yellow. Then I extended long fallout trails from west to east from all of those, to further mark out no-go zones that might be hundreds of miles downwind from the radioactive ruins of the cities. I also marked the same for any highly restricted airspace and air bases / military facilities, as these were likely to be first strike targets.

And essentially that was one of the reasons I took a few nuclear physics courses and tried to learn everything I could about the effects of nuclear weapons. Because my assumption was, it was inevitable they would be used on US soil, probably by the 1980s at the outside.

I still have a rather high quality bootleg of the ABC made for TV movie that aired circa 1983 called "The Day After". I wore out a VHS tape of it, studying details.

Some bonus things - I learned how to build and fix nearly anything. Wiring, plumbing, just about anything to do with digging basements or cellars and assorted unconventional construction techniques. I've kept some 25 to 30 year old cars and trucks running.

It really never occurred to me back then that I'd live to see old age without a nuclear war in the middle.

WALTER784

Nov-26

Well, whether we'll be nuked or not... nobody can really say, but an EMP bomb can do much more damage to the infrastructure.

Now if your 25 or 30 year old cars are parked in a garage with a Faraday cage round them, they should be fine. Otherwise the solenoid and alternator might not work. Newer cars have all kinds of electronic components that would be fried, and electric cars... LOL... they too would become immovable permanent garden fixtures.

But if you're building a nuclear fallout shelter, you would also need an air filter system with changeable filters too.

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

But if you're building a nuclear fallout shelter, you would also need an air filter system with changeable filters too

I built a filtration system that was plagarized from the Rainbow vacuum. Essentially outside air went through an ordinary furnace filter which could be either changed or stuck in another air path and back-flushed to get more life out of it, on the theory that re-supply of fresh filters would likely be years or decades away and one has to have room for food as well as filters.

The next stage was an electrostatic separator. It used a high voltage (about 40 kv) DC source and some "fuzz" that would essentially put a strong negative static charge on any particles in the air. This then passed through a series of parallel plates that had a positive charge. The particles would stick rather strongly to the plates, while the air would pass through, stripped of a lot of particles.

If the particles were radioactive, this would also be a quick and easy way to observe as particles would lose their charge quickly.

The next stage was the water tank. This had about 100 gallons of water in it, and was sort of like a concrete fish tank. Air was forced through a "sock" (really a burlap bag) where it formed a froth about 2 feet underwater. It took a bit of pressure and a pretty powerful fan to overcome the hydrostatic head but nearly everything still in the air would be wetted and thus trapped by the water.

This had a purge drain system to change the water periodically.

Lubbock, Texas was the perfect location to test everything with real dust and chokingly dense particles. Lubbock and surrounding South Plains in the 1970s and 80s was notorious for its dust storms. A wind storm would arrive and dirt from recently harvested cotton fields would rise to altitudes as high as 17,000 feet. Visibility could drop to mere feet.

Everything was brown. The sky was brown. The air was brown. If you cough it's brown. Brown dust would touch the water in toilet bowls and leave a brown muddy layer in the bottom until you flushed. Everything was gritty. Soft foods became "crunchy". So did milk and any other liquid drinks in an open glass.

So, I built this contraption in a large storm cellar that was being converted into a fallout shelter. Oh, storm cellars are kind of common up there because, well, Tornado Alley.

We had this student who has severe allergies and if a dust storm was forecast, would usually check into the hospital where they could if necessary intubate him and supply a lot of abuterol and sometimes epinephrine., and put him in a well filtered isolation room.

He volunteered to test the system, and we had a couple of other people with him and a phone in case someone needed to call 911 should the filtration system not work as we had expected.

Sure enough the dust storm arrived. It howled for 2 days straight. He said he had zero symptoms from the massive load of soil and pollen and other stuff swirling all through the city and surrounding 60,000 square miles or so that made up the Texas Panhandle, a good part of Okahoma, and eastern New Mexico that had been transformed into a "brownout".

We tested the airlock and decontamination process. I went in and out a couple of times but by the end of the dust storm almost everyone involved in the project was packed into the shelter.

Now I don't know if enough particles made it in that, if they were truly radioactive, would have posed a danger or not - but we watched the local weather on a TV down there of all the footage of cars with headlights on that couldn't see one another, drivers unable to see pavement markings and running up on curbs, and a tale of one American Airlines flight from Dallas that descended to about 16,000 feet to see if any planes could possibly make it in or out on Day 3, once the wind started dying down to only about 20 mph with 35 mph gusts. They climbed back up out of it and went back to Dallas, saying they were worried the dust was starting to sandblast the airplane and engines.

It was day 5 before enough dust settled out after the howling wind died down, before grounded flights could finally depart LBB or arrivals could safely land.

WALTER784

Nov-28

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

He said he had zero symptoms from the massive load of soil and pollen and other stuff swirling all through the city and surrounding 60,000 square miles or so that made up the Texas Panhandle

Wow... that was quite an extensive test.

The electrostatic separator part was quite interesting too... yeah... I guess it would be like a large magnet to pull out the radioactive particles. Not to mention pumping air through the water to filter it out further!

You seem to have done quite an elaborate and in-depth study as well as implementing a unique filtration system.

Japan uses a lot of porous rock as filters to clean rivers and lakes so you might want to take a look into that as well! Water and air will flow through them but as the holes are so tiny, they filter out quite a bit of the unwanted sediments... and like you said with your air filtration system, you just reverse the flow and can easily blow out all the trapped unwanted sediment as well. I would be interested to know if you could find some way to use that in your filtration system.

FWIW