Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Average annual Disneyland pay $33,000. Do employees deserve more?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Sep-22 by Showtalk; 1593 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Sep-22

Average annual Disneyland pay $33,000. Do employees deserve more?
  • Yes, they deserve the national average pay which is double0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, they should receive higher pay. Disneyland prices are high4  votes
    30%
  • No, they deserve no more than their employer wants to pay0  votes
    0%
  • It doesn't matter, a judge will rule in their favor in the lawsuit1  vote
    7%
  • Everyone should earn the same amount0  votes
    0%
  • If they don't like the pay, they should find a better job somewhere else1  vote
    7%
  • 1 and 23  votes
    23%
  • 1, 2 and 50  votes
    0%
  • 3 and 63  votes
    23%
  • 3, 4 and 61  vote
    7%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes, they deserve the national average pay which is double 
Yes, they should receive higher pay. Disneyland prices are high 
No, they deserve no more than their employer wants to pay 
It doesn't matter, a judge will rule in their favor in the lawsuit 
Everyone should earn the same amount 
If they don't like the pay, they should find a better job somewhere else 
1 and 2 
1, 2 and 5 
3 and 6 
3, 4 and 6 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Sep-22

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Sep-22

This is a test case for a national minimum wage. The key phrase is “legally obligated.”

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Sep-22

This was the test case for a minimum wage in Anaheim where Disneyland is located. It passed.  Now 3 years later, they want a guaranteed living wage. How is that different from a minimum wage law?  Doesn’t it just raise the minimum to a much higher amount?

In reply toRe: msg 4
Showtalk
Host

Sep-22

The difference is explained here.  Interesting side note is that a middle class income in Anaheim the OC where Anaheim is located is $100,000. Disneyland would be out of business if they had to pay every employee $100,000 a year.  Most businesses could not afford to stay in business if they had no bottom level employees.  Teen jobs would vanish as well.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Sep-22

The key here is how much can you sell your labour for in any given job, if you are a teen or young adult who is still in school you really can't sell your labour for that much, likewise if you don't have a degree or some form of post secondary education you're going to find it difficult to find a job that will pay you a living wage because people get the jpbs they are qualified for.

Showtalk
Host

Sep-22

I agree but our country is moving toward higher wages for unskilled and apparently lower for skilled. It’s part of the progressive movement and another reason why people voted for Trump if they did. Our politics are complicated.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Sep-22

In theory this is a good set up for a guaranteed income or universal basic income, Canada; it seems to me has now conducted the longest and widest experiment on this with our pandemic relief CERB and not surprisingly it didn't work as intended as now employers can't hire anyone back because everyone is sitting back on CERB, which is possibly a case for employers to start offering better wages or more competitive or comprehensive benefits, this would be called competition.

Showtalk
Host

Sep-22

We have the same problem with many jobs going unfilled. I was in a store today and the person I asked for help was so rude, I almost walked out.  She refused to help me.  She was busy and did not want to be bothered. There is no point in complaining. They have no options.

WALTER784

Sep-22

I voted 3 and 6.

Employers should be able to offer what ever wages they want as long as they meet or pay more than the minimum wages.

Likewise, employees who don't like the money they're getting should seek employment elsewhere that offers more pay.

It's a free market and Disney is a private company, thus the State should not be able to force them to pay more.

On another note, what's the problem here?

Are all 25,000 employees in this suit just making minimum wage? Why don't they find a job that pays better than minimum wage.

But let's look at the history of Anaheim Disney for a minute. In 2018, they offered to increase minimum wage to $15/hr. starting from 2019. And they did. To many... that was a 40% increase in what they previously made.

So now all 25,000 are getting $25/hr. since 2019. In 2020, Anaheim had a vote and said that large companies like Disney and big hotels receiving state subsidies would have to offer living wages in the future.

Disney talked with their unions and agreed to up the minimum wage to $18/hr. starting from 2022. Disney also turned down a $200 million subsidy from Anaheim to their surprise. Disney did this because they would have had to offer living wages instead of the $18/hr. they had previously agreed to with union workers.

Oh, and note... Disney now has over 21 unions and has to deal with each and every one of them.

The biggest problem is the price to live in California and more specifically, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Anaheim and other large cities has increased drastically. Apartments that used to rent for $540/mo. now cost over $1500/mo. in just a span of 12 ~ 15 years... the cost just tripled... Disney didn't have anything to do with that.

Likewise, Disney didn't have anything to do with the Calex that has been ongoing now for over a year.

Therefore, I say let Anaheim force Disney into paying living wages. Then Disney will have to fire about 10,000 just to break even. That will cause a degrade in the cleanliness of the park and the quality of the services offered which in turn will cause a drop in visitors. That in turn will spiral Disney into the red and they will have to close up shop. That will then leave California with a total of 25,000 more unemployed individuals, but won't do a damn thing to reduce the cost of living in California.

I would love to see Anaheim Disney go belly up due to the Democrats policies. Their tomb stone should have "Thank you Democrats" written on the headstone! That would also cause an influx of tourists to Florida's Disney World which they will absolutely love.

Bottom line: Screw California... they're already gone... they just don't realize it yet!

FWIW

Edited to add: [Read this if you're interested: The Real Cost of Working in the House of Mouse | Topic]

• Edited September 22, 2021 10:19 pm  by  WALTER784