Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Parents should not tell school districts what they can teach   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Oct-5 by Showtalk; 8631 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Oct-5

Parents should not tell school districts what they can teach
  • I agree, parents have no rights to decide curriculum3  votes
    15%
  • I disagree, schools should accept parental concerns and suggestions8  votes
    40%
  • I disagree, parents should have full control over curriculum and subjects tau...5  votes
    25%
  • I disagree somewhat for young children1  vote
    5%
  • Parents should have veto power on sexual and moral or ethical subject matter2  votes
    10%
  • Schools should not teach anything so controversial parents would object1  vote
    5%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
I agree, parents have no rights to decide curriculum 
I disagree, schools should accept parental concerns and suggestions 
I disagree, parents should have full control over curriculum and subjects tau... 
I disagree somewhat for young children 
Parents should have veto power on sexual and moral or ethical subject matter 
Schools should not teach anything so controversial parents would object 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Oct-5

McAuliffe supports late term abortion up until birth and has a “blackface” scandal from a supporter. Is he the best judge of what schools should teach?

Edited to add this began not about subject matter but with a parent being denied the right to investigate his daughter’s rape in a school bathroom. It just came out today (October 12, 2021). See posts further down from today.

• Edited October 12, 2021 7:53 pm  by  Showtalk
In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Host

Oct-5

If parent speak up, the federal government will go after them as terrorists.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Host

Oct-5

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-5

Anyone who threatens another person's life or safety should be stopped.  It doesn't matter if it's a parent, teacher or unknown person.  I look at this from a lens of having been threatened once.    Disagreement over curriculum isn't a reason to resort to violence or threats of violence under any circumstances.  When did it become okay or normalized to use violence or threats of violence to win an argument?

Showtalk
Host

Oct-5

Parents aren’t resorting to violence. I agree, that is not acceptable. But they have used strong language.  I’ve watched a number of videos where parents were shut down when they tried to talk or if they were emphatic when they spoke. 

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-5

I suspect at this time in our country's history, emphatic speech often encourages stronger language which can Lead to threats, most uttered unconsciously but the atmosphere leads to fear based caution and the meetings are shut down.

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-5

Just read an article with links to incidents where parents attacked school board members.  I'll see if I can find it again.  

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Oct-5

Voted #1, but it's not that simple of course, anyone can go and blow up at a school board meeting (emotionally that is) but the real voice parents have is at the ballot box, electing their school board; you want a certain kind of curricula? Fine, vote for the trustees who will bring that about but don't be surprised when other parents vote for the other guy because their beliefs are just as strong if not as misguided.

Showtalk
Host

Oct-6

The pony point is that you have to search to find violence at a school board. There are 14,000 school boards in the U.S. one incident of violence doesn’t make a pattern.

Edited to add: LOL, even my typos to you are horse related.

• Edited October 6, 2021 11:59 am  by  Showtalk