Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-10

Just watched 60 Minutes section and did some light reading on it.  Has anyone done research on this?  I'm almost afraid too, it's so close to my bedtime it would probably keep me up!

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2293138-ai-generated-deepfake-voices-can-fool-both-humans-and-smart-assistants/

Not surprised it’s going in this direction, I’ve worked with the open source software for making video deepfakes and it’s extremely impressive.

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-10

They nailed bBill Whitaker but Tom Cruize was not quite on the money.

WALTER784

Oct-11

Such software wouldn't surprise me in the least.

And it's really scary to say the least. There are so many ways it can be used against people in malicious ways that it's really terrifying to say the least.

Deep fakes have been around for quite some time. On a more professional scale even deep fake moving videos can be made mimicing ones facial movements as well.

This videoclip was from Jul 2018... over 3 years ago. The technology has improved quite a bit over the past 3 years.

It's very scary to say the least.

Give it another 2 or 3 years and this software will also probably be available on the market too!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Oct-11

Why do you think I don’t watch 60 Minutes?  It’s not the only reason, though. We talked a little about that here several months ago. The man who created the deep fake was worried about that, but not enough to stop working on it.

Showtalk
Host

Oct-11

Oh,There he is. Thanks 

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-11

I just hadn't paid a lot of attention to the issue.  I remember years ago I think is was Leslie Stahl did a section on how a department store tracked her iPhone and then later in the sediment she went into the mall and the guy at the fast food counter knew that she preferred a particular soft drink. That was scary!  We can track my DHs phone when he's on an out of town trip which is really handy when he breaks down in the middle of nowhere or hits a road closure.

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-11

I watch all kinds f programs.  

Showtalk
Host

Oct-11

That is creepy.  Ha, I think you meant segment, not sediment.  I’m glad I’m not the only one with wild autocorrect typos.

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-11

LOL.  Considering the subject sediment might fit.