Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should politicians receive regular cognitive tests?   The Curious You: Beliefs and Ideas

Started Oct-18 by Showtalk; 971 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Oct-18

Should politicians receive regular cognitive tests?
  • Yes, they all should5  votes
    55%
  • Yes, the President, Supreme Court and other major offices0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, but only if they are showing cognitive decline0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, but only if tester is politically unbiased2  votes
    22%
  • Yes, but only Republicans should be tested0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, but only Democrats should be tested0  votes
    0%
  • No, it's a violation of civil rights and HIPPA1  vote
    11%
  • Other1  vote
    11%
Yes, they all should 
Yes, the President, Supreme Court and other major offices 
Yes, but only if they are showing cognitive decline 
Yes, but only if tester is politically unbiased 
Yes, but only Republicans should be tested 
Yes, but only Democrats should be tested 
No, it's a violation of civil rights and HIPPA 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Oct-18

In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Host

Oct-18

A senator called for all politicians to be trusted, but it’s not avialable anywhere via search.  I’m waiting for it to show up.

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-18

Voted other because while I believe it is a valid position and could be beneficial to test public figures...I suspect it's a violation of HIPPA for the results to be released without permission.  If a Congressman/woman or the President were tested and the results were questionable how many would voluntarily go in front of the cameras and say "I'm suffering from cognitive issues and hereby resign?"   Oddly, my hope would be that SCOTUS members would release the results but in the case of some of them, I doubt it, LOL.

Showtalk
Host

Oct-18

I don’t think it would work for many reasons. Also, it could be used solely by one party to get members of the other party ousted.  But mainly for privacy reasons. 

Showtalk
Host

Oct-18

I didn’t know about that.  It would probably face the same criticism today.  Interesting to see the outcomes were political.

Goldwater certainly held very conservative political views and expressed them forcefully. Many of the respondents who declared him “unfit” were likely expressing their own political biases in psychiatric terms. Tellingly, many of them asked that their names be withheld from publication, perhaps hinting at some guilt feelings over their cavalier, remote diagnoses of the candidate

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-18

If one party demanded testing, both parties would.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander, as the saying goes.  IMPO, neither party has a monopoly on honesty, stupidity, brains, or mental issues.

Jeri (azpaints)

Oct-18

I had a really vague memory of cognitive ability being an issue with Goldwater but not any specifics.  I just googled "senator asking for mental testing of President" and that popped up.  I was surprised his name was the first to come up, as I thought there was a prior President that was questioned, and I expected to see Reagan in the top five.

Showtalk
Host

Oct-18

Why are people today calling him extremely far right? He wasn’t.  He hated the religious right, he was not against abortion, he was pro gays in the military.  He has been analyzed according to articles I found and his positions are Libertarian, not Republican or Conservative.