Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The 10Megabyte computer system   The Jovial You: Humor, Jokes and Riddles

Started Oct-25 by WALTER784; 237 views.
WALTER784

Oct-27

Yep... but when you want to talk about real computing power...

The (Control Data Corporation) CDC 6600 was the flagship of the 6000 series of mainframe computer systems manufactured by Control Data Corporation.[9][10] Generally considered to be the first successful supercomputer, it outperformed the industry's prior recordholder, the IBM 7030 Stretch, by a factor of three.[11][12] With performance of up to three megaFLOPS,[13][14] the CDC 6600 was the world's fastest computer from 1964 to 1969

In June 2011, TOP500 ranked K the world's fastest supercomputer, with a computation speed of over 8 petaflops, and in November 2011, K became the first computer to top 10 petaflops.

And... woops... the guy in the back left (of both pics) with glasses on is me back in 2011! (* GRIN *)

FWIW

• Edited November 18, 2021 12:08 am  by  WALTER784

Give Big Tech a few more years cranking out poorly optimized bloatware and you'll need that kind of a machine just to view many web sites.

WALTER784

Nov-17

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

Give Big Tech a few more years cranking out poorly optimized bloatware and you'll need that kind of a machine just to view many web sites.

Well, this is from 4 years ago, but it's still a good comparison for up to iPhone 7...

15 Huge Supercomputers That Were Less Powerful Than Your Smartphone (theclever.com)

So the iPhone 13 they've got now is even faster.

One thing I've always said about faster computers... they just make more mistakes in less time! (* ROFLMAO *)

And that includes big tech's computers too. Big tech's biggest problem is that they built bias into their AI computers... which is a no no in the AI world... and you cannot really unbias them either. You can try but I think it would be quicker and more accurate to just start from scratch and retrain them. It can take anywhere from 4 months to over a year to train one properly from scratch... but trying to remove the bias could take upwards of 3 or more years.

FWIW

Alfi (THIALFI)

Nov-17

"The IBM CDC 6600"

I don't think you want IBM in there.

WALTER784

Nov-18

ROFLMAO...

Now how did I do that?

Thanks for catching that... it should have been Control Data Corporation...

I can't even believe I made that mistake... but I did go back and correct it.

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

Big tech's biggest problem is that they built bias into their AI computers... which is a no no in the AI world... and you cannot really unbias them either. You can try but I think it would be quicker and more accurate to just start from scratch and retrain them. It can take anywhere from 4 months to over a year to train one properly from scratch... but trying to remove the bias could take upwards of 3 or more years.

and that can be disastrous when you need to remove the bias before your air runs out.

Hal. Open the pod bay doors.

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

WALTER784

Nov-19

LOL...

Did you know where the name HAL came from?

All three letters are one letter short of IBM. H comes before I, A comes before B and L comes before M.

Just think if they had named IBM ABM... would it then be ZAL? (* CHUCKLE *)

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

All three letters are one letter short of IBM. H comes before I, A comes before B and L comes before M.

Yep I actually knew that.

I once modified some of the Windows notification sounds. One common error, I replaced with that audio clip from "2001" where HAL says "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."