Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The 10Megabyte computer system   The Jovial You: Humor, Jokes and Riddles

Started Oct-25 by WALTER784; 503 views.

Give Big Tech a few more years cranking out poorly optimized bloatware and you'll need that kind of a machine just to view many web sites.

WALTER784

Nov-17

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

Give Big Tech a few more years cranking out poorly optimized bloatware and you'll need that kind of a machine just to view many web sites.

Well, this is from 4 years ago, but it's still a good comparison for up to iPhone 7...

15 Huge Supercomputers That Were Less Powerful Than Your Smartphone (theclever.com)

So the iPhone 13 they've got now is even faster.

One thing I've always said about faster computers... they just make more mistakes in less time! (* ROFLMAO *)

And that includes big tech's computers too. Big tech's biggest problem is that they built bias into their AI computers... which is a no no in the AI world... and you cannot really unbias them either. You can try but I think it would be quicker and more accurate to just start from scratch and retrain them. It can take anywhere from 4 months to over a year to train one properly from scratch... but trying to remove the bias could take upwards of 3 or more years.

FWIW

Alfi (THIALFI)

Nov-17

"The IBM CDC 6600"

I don't think you want IBM in there.

WALTER784

Nov-18

ROFLMAO...

Now how did I do that?

Thanks for catching that... it should have been Control Data Corporation...

I can't even believe I made that mistake... but I did go back and correct it.

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

Big tech's biggest problem is that they built bias into their AI computers... which is a no no in the AI world... and you cannot really unbias them either. You can try but I think it would be quicker and more accurate to just start from scratch and retrain them. It can take anywhere from 4 months to over a year to train one properly from scratch... but trying to remove the bias could take upwards of 3 or more years.

and that can be disastrous when you need to remove the bias before your air runs out.

Hal. Open the pod bay doors.

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

WALTER784

Nov-19

LOL...

Did you know where the name HAL came from?

All three letters are one letter short of IBM. H comes before I, A comes before B and L comes before M.

Just think if they had named IBM ABM... would it then be ZAL? (* CHUCKLE *)

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

All three letters are one letter short of IBM. H comes before I, A comes before B and L comes before M.

Yep I actually knew that.

I once modified some of the Windows notification sounds. One common error, I replaced with that audio clip from "2001" where HAL says "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

WALTER784

Nov-25

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

One common error, I replaced with that audio clip from "2001" where HAL says "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

ROFLMAO... I bet they were surprised when they heard that!

FWIW

WALTER784

Nov-26

Reminds me of a Microsoft gif file I replaced... but I cannot seem to find it.

Back during Win 95 or Win 98, when you copied a file, they showed a gif of a piece of paper floating through the air from one folder to another.

Well, somebody sent me a modified gif file with a guy squatting in the middle between the two folders and he would catch the floating paper mid air, wipe his arse with it and when he let go of it, the floating paper had this brown spot on it before it went into the other folder. I cannot seem to find it but it was hilarious.

I replace the standard copy gif that Microsoft provided with that on my PC and when people saw it... they all got a kick out of it.

FWIW

Hahahahaha.

Someone I knew replaced the hourglass with a more vulgar GIF. It started out with an hourglass, but if it played for more than about 4 seconds, it would turn to a pair of hands twiddling their thumbs, but at the 10 second mark, it would morph to a hand frantically masturbating and continue with that until whatever the process was finally completed.

Then I replaced the sound for a file deletion with the sound of a toilet flushing.