Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever driven in a country tha...   The Social You: Interactive

Started Nov-19 by WALTER784; 421 views.
WALTER784

Poll Question From WALTER784

Nov-19

Have you ever driven in a country that drives on the left side of the road?
  • Yes2  votes
    16%
  • No10  votes
    83%
Showtalk
Host

Nov-19

Never.

Alfi (THIALFI)

Nov-19

I wouldn't dare.

WALTER784

Nov-19

I was born and raised in Florida and just like the rest of the US... we all drive on the right hand side of the road.

But when I came to Japan, they all drive on the left hand side of the road.

So here in Japan, the right side of the road is the wrong side of the road. (* CHUCKLE *)

Each time I go back stateside, I have to be careful of the first 4 or 5 turns in both directions. It's something difficult to explain, but after 4 or 5 turns in both directions... it somehow automatically comes back.

And then when I return to Japan again... again... I'm careful of the first 4 or 5 turns and then it comes back automatically for reasons I cannot explain.

FWIW

WALTER784

Nov-19

LOL...

Well, another interesting thing is that because the handle is also on the opposite side, if you drive a car with a manual transmission or shift, you have to shift with your left hand and not your right. But the brake pedal, clutch and gas are all in the same position.

And as I mentioned to Showtalk, even after getting over the first 4 or 5 turns in both directions, one problem that takes a little bit longer to get used to is that I'll walk up on the wrong side of the car to get in the driver's seat... (* CHUCKLE *)

FWIW 

Showtalk
Host

Nov-20

I did not know that!

As an Englishman living in the Netherlands I have driven on both the left hand and right hand sides of the road in both right hand drive and left hand drive cars.  Nothing to it, except sometimes when you are setting off on a deserted single lane road you might not realise you are on the wrong side until you see someone coming.

Showtalk
Host

Nov-21

That is only dangerous if there are cars blocking you from changing lanes.

WALTER784

Nov-21

An Educated Yokel (Nick_In_NL) said...

As an Englishman living in the Netherlands I have driven on both the left hand and right hand sides of the road in both right hand drive and left hand drive cars.  Nothing to it, except sometimes when you are setting off on a deserted single lane road you might not realise you are on the wrong side until you see someone coming.

And going through a toll both with the handle on the wrong side... you have to bend way over the passenger seat to put your coins in. (* LOL *)

Today, in Japan, most toll roads have what they call an ETC (Electronic Toll Collection) card that will allow you to drive right through the toll booths at 20KPH and sensors will automatically deduct the amount and charge it to your credit card so it doesn't really matter.

FWIW

It does help to have someone in the passenger seat to deal with that sort of thing.