Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What should happen to Jussie Smollett as a result of his crimes?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Dec-6 by Showtalk; 32631 views.

Just about anything that can be sentenced for more than a year is considered a felony these days. Several things he was convicted on are felonies.

WALTER784

Dec-12

Showtalk said...

It didn’t copy right but I remember reading that.

That's strange... I copied it right from the article and pasted it, but the letter 'a' was replaced with a "?" every time for some unknown reason.

Showtalk said...

There was a lot of politicism regarding public comments.  

Seems like everything the liberals do today is politicized in some fashion or another. The CIA, FBI, DOJ, IRS, Education, you name it.

FWIW

WALTER784

Dec-12

I've heard he could get 3-5 years max.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-12

Sentencing can vary, though.

Showtalk
Host

Dec-12

• Smollett was found guilty of six counts of lying to police for fabricating a story of being the victim of a targeted attack in January 2019
  • Smollett faced a maximum of 20 years behind bars - four years for each of the six counts he is charged with - but he was expected to get off on probation 
Jussie Smollett faces 20 YEARS behind bars after hoax conviction

Empire Star Jussie Smollett faces up to 20 years behind bars after being convicted of faking a violent attack he claimed was racist and homophobic.

WALTER784

Dec-12

All six counts? I heard he was guilty on 5 of 6 counts:

A jury’s guilty verdict that Jussie Smollett faked a racist and homophobic attack isn’t the end of legal proceedings for the former “Empire” actor or others. Smollett, 39, was convicted Thursday of five counts of disorderly conduct for lying to Chicago police about being the victim of a racist, anti-gay attack near his home in downtown Chicago. He maintains his innocence, and his attorney has said he will appeal the verdict. While the charges carry a possible sentence of three years in prison, legal experts have said Smollett is unlikely to get prison time for the low-level felonies, and is more likely to be sentenced to probation and ordered to perform community service. Judge James Linn didn’t set a sentencing date, but scheduled a Jan. 27 hearing for post-trial motions and said he would schedule sentencing after that.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-13

Yes, they made a mistake. Interesting that he could get no jail time after being convicted of a felony.

Once upon a time there was a judge whose name was John something. They called him "Maximum John". Woe be any defendant who was found guilty in his court.

Showtalk
Host

Dec-14

This one?

I have about 70% confidence that one is him. Because it might have been around the early 90s when he kicked the bucket.

I didn't make the Watergate connection but in the context of the article, there's probably not any others with the same name and reputation from that era.