Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you still have a Twitter account?   The Social You: Interactive

Started Dec-16 by WALTER784; 1444 views.

Nope. Never had one. As cancel culture began to really shift into warp drive years ago, I made a very early calculation that Twitter, Facebook, etc. were far more liability than asset.

And I actually have the domains blocked at my firewall to stop thee assorted web bugs (usually 1x1 pixel objects fetched remotely that are used to transfer my IP address combined with web site being viewed to build a shadow dossier) from being able to load properly, and thus disrupt as much of their functionality as practical when their path intersects with mine.

Because they can't cancel those who they don't really know exist, and although they can theoretically find me with a little extra effort. But generally the mobs go after the low hanging fruit, the easy victims they can easily find.

WALTER784

Dec-24

Being in the network security world at work, if I was discovered to have had any one of them... I would probably have lost my job.

There only source of income is the unwanted advertisements they push out to all their users. And I heard from too many friends of mine that they were mysteriously some how made know to others who had similar interest as them that they didn't even know (mainly from Facebook). I've heard others say that they felt as if their privacy were being leaked out to others unknowing to them (both Facebook and Twitter).

I finally decided quite a while back that it's not something I want to be a part of. Likewise, I don't use Line or any other SNS application like TikToc, Instagram and I'm glad I didn't use any of them.

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

There only source of income is the unwanted advertisements they push out to all their users.

Yep. And generally it is going to be advertisements for crap normal people don't really need, that usually just spy on the user even more - e.g. smart refrigerators and light bulbs and Ring doorbells

WALTER784 said:

And I heard from too many friends of mine that they were mysteriously some how made know to others who had similar interest as them that they didn't even know (mainly from Facebook). I've heard others say that they felt as if their privacy were being leaked out to others unknowing to them (both Facebook and Twitter).

Extra creepy. Stalkerific kind of creepy, like being in one of "those" kind of neighborhoods at night, where you know there are a lot of unseen eyes just waiting for a spot to make their move and relieve you of anything of value you might be carrying.

WALTER784

Dec-25

Well, I heard about all of that 6 or maybe 7 years ago and just said... that's not for me.

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

Well, I heard about all of that 6 or maybe 7 years ago and just said... that's not for me.

While I didn't really work in a field where having it was prohibited, I had heard of enough bad things happening to figure it was something to avoid like the plague.

Risa (Risa25)

Dec-28

Never had one and never will. Also don't use Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram or Pinterest.  I like keeping a low profile :-)

Risa (Risa25) said:

Never had one and never will. Also don't use Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram or Pinterest. I like keeping a low profile

Dittos. I see those platforms as a lot more of a liability than an asset. I've preached multiple times that they should come with a Miranda warning. I was wary of cancel culture before it was a household word. By having no presence on those, it significantly reduces the risk of being low hanging fruit that can suddenly end one's career or education or bring the howling mob to one's doorstep with torches and pitchforks for something I might have said a decade ago.

While it doesn't reduce the risk to zero, it certainly makes one almost invisible in an era where most are sitting ducks in a "target-rich environment". Let the social justice warrior mob pick easier targets, the easy prey that is blissfully out there all over those platforms.

I don't think I've missed out on anything of true value by my absence from those platforms. I probably sleep better knowing that the odds of someone with an axe to grind looking for something to be offended by, will stumble upon tens of thousands of victims before he would ever have a clue I even exist..

WALTER784

Dec-29

Risa (Risa25) said...

Never had one and never will. Also don't use Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram or Pinterest.

Good for ya.

Risa (Risa25) said...

I like keeping a low profile :-)

LOL.

FWIW

Risa (Risa25)

Dec-29

Yep, I  have a very "low profile" when it comes to social media.  I use Delphi under my nickname and I use the local Next Door app and that's about it.  I've never tweeted and not sure what Tik Tok is but it sounds like some kind of time bomb lol.  I really don't want people who knew me in high school or exes with an axe to grind or former patients who are a few bricks shy of a load finding me and unleashing mayhem.

Risa (Risa25) said:

I've never tweeted and not sure what Tik Tok is but it sounds like some kind of time bomb lol. I really don't want people who knew me in high school or exes with an axe to grind or former patients who are a few bricks shy of a load finding me and unleashing mayhem.

TikTok is a video platform for various exhibitionists to show off "stupid people tricks", mostly. It is run by a Chinese controlled company so it's also likely a major vector for all sorts of social propaganda, conspiracy theories, and disinformation.

Dittos about people a few bricks shy of a load showing up with torches and pitchforks.

Then I'm far enough out in the middle of nowhere that the average nut case would have to master various GIS tools to even find the place without getting lost. Every time FedEx gets a new driver, they get hopelessly lost.

Of course the New World Order folks have drones and know how to use a GPS so they don't need to know an address or be able to read signs and identify specific dirt roads in the dark.

There's not much defense from any adversary who knows how to use geotagged satellite imagery and has assorted manned and unmanned aircraft at their beck and call but the average nut case is unlikely to wander out into a low target density, high risk low reward endeavor to harass people in a state that has some pretty strong "castle" and "stand your ground" laws and more than 51% of the population fairly well armed.

So they are more likely to pick victims that are easier to find, and less likely to have the ability to repel them with deadly force if necessary. That by nature tends to focus most of them into densely populated areas, although of course there are exceptions if you are unlucky enough to attract the attention of someone who doesn't do a good cost / benefit analysis before setting out on a stalking mission.

Then they have only a finite number of hours in a lifetime to seek out and harass victims, and there are billions of potential victims. So they can easily run out of time long before they run out of easy victims, meaning they just don't have time to get around to coming after you or me, because they are busy with the low hanging fruit.

Fortunately I don't have any real stalkerific exes and most of those I knew from high school and other spheres of influence who there was trouble with have been either pushing up daisies are have been long term "guests" of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice since prior to the turn of the millennium.

Most of the people I worry about these days are those who are professional moochers who generally have so many chaotic crises in their lives they won't be able to show up anyway.

Thus, the absence from social media puts us effectively in an alternate universe from the cancel culture mob's prime hunting grounds.