Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Only in Japan   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Dec-28 by WALTER784; 514 views.
WALTER784

Dec-28

Highway through a Building Story

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-28

Somehow that looks dangerous. Have you driven through it?

WALTER784

Dec-29

I haven't driven through it yet, but what do you consider dangerous about it.

It's like going into a curved tunnel like you see on roads all over Japan. This one just so happens to go right through a building.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Dec-30

Earthquakes.

WALTER784

Dec-31

LOL...

Live in Japan long enough and you learn to get used to them. Just look at this chart of earthquakes since Dec 1, 2021.

Japan Meteorological Agency | Earthquake information (jma.go.jp)

There are 425 of them listed. The two largest with a magnitude of 7 or greater were in Indonesia, but all the others were in or around Japan.

Japan's building codes prior to 1950's were set such that the building had to withstand an earthquake magnitude of 5.

In 1964, that code was modified such that all structures had to support an earthquake magnitude of 6.5.

And after the 1995 Central Japan Hanshin earthquake, they upped that building code to support an earthquake magnitude of 7.5.

My home was built when the standard was magnitude 6.5. 

Through the 34 years of living in my home, we've experienced two (2) magnitude 5 quakes but had no structural damage what so ever.

Even when the supposedly big Tokyo earthquake (expected to be around magnitude 8) hits, my area is expected to have the largest magnitude of 6.0 max. 

That building in the videoclip was built recently under the newer magnitude 7.5 code and thus I wouldn't be worried about that.  Both the building and the highway that runs through it are separated such that they don't touch so should an earthquake occur, they will each vibrate separately and there is enough space between the outer part of the highway and the inner sides of the building that they won't collide together even with a 7.5 quake.

FWIW

• Edited December 31, 2021 2:42 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jan-9

Earthquakes are everywhere and most people don’t even realized they’ve been in one, as they are small.

WALTER784

Jan-10

Most people cannot feel a magnitude 1 earthquake.

Some people can feel a magnitude 2 earthquake but only if you're sitting or laying down. If you're standing up or riding in a car or bus, you won't notice it.

Everybody can feel a magnitude 3 or stronger earthquake regardless of whether you're standing or sitting, but you may not notice it in a car or bus.

From a magnitude of 3.5 or greater, you will feel it in a car or bus too.

FWIW

• Edited January 10, 2022 12:21 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jan-10

It also depends a lot on where you are.  Outside at ground level feels much different than on a high floor of a tall building.

WALTER784
Staff

Jan-10

Showtalk said...

Outside at ground level feels much different than on a high floor of a tall building.

Absolutely, I was on the 38th floor about 6 years ago when a 4.0 magnitude quake hit and the building swayed left and right about 10 to 15 inches.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jan-13

It must have felt like it was falling.