Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever trespassed a railroad c...   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Jan-25 by WALTER784; 226 views.
WALTER784
Staff

Poll Question From WALTER784

Jan-25

Have you ever trespassed a railroad crossing? (See next post)
  • Yes2  votes
    40%
  • No3  votes
    60%
  • I refuse to answer0  votes
    0%
Yes 
No 
I refuse to answer 
In reply toRe: msg 1
WALTER784
Staff

Jan-25

Trespassing Casualties by State

Top 15 States Ranked by Total Trespass Casualties

(Based on Preliminary 2020 Federal Railroad Administration Statistics) 

UPDATED 9/15/21

According to FRA statistics, 1,085 pedestrian rail trespass casualties (fatalities + injuries) occurred in 2020. Approximately 71% of all  2020 trespass casualties occurred in the 15 states listed below.

Trespassing Casualties by State | Operation Lifesaver (oli.org)

FWIW

• Edited January 25, 2022 7:13 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jan-27

No, why would anyone do that?

WALTER784
Staff

Jan-28

Well, to answer your question with another question...

Have you ever waited 25 minutes for a 114 car train to pass?

I have on several instances while my dad stopped at the crossing. My brother and I were sitting in the back seat of the car and we started counting the cars... and the largest one we counted was 114. Others were 80, 90, 100 or more cars.

Some people are in a hurry, but they don't get where they're in a hurry to get to if that train collides with them.

Others are attempting to loose the police or others chasing them and thus dart through the gates.

Some, in highly congested areas are unable to make it through the gates due to the congestion ahead and get stuck over the track and cannot back up because of the congestion behind. In that case, you should attempt to back into the opposite lane but sometimes that too is congested.

Other times, their car stalls on the tracks and they're unable to get it started.

Regardless, there were 1080 such incidents in 2020 alone. And these were only the ones who were caught up in a train accident. There could be literally thousands or tens of thousands of others who crossed successfully without ending up in a colliion.

But regardless, it' dangerous, it's illegal and could get you killed.

But there were at least 1080 in 2020 who were struck by an oncoming train.

While you're there in front of the closed gates, you can neither tell the speed of the train nor the number of cars on that train. The faster the train, the more chances of collision. The longer the train, the longer you have to wait for it to clear the crossing!

FWIW

EdGlaze

Jan-28

I have crossed the tracks when the lights were blinking and the train whistle audible in the distance. I haven't gone around the dropped lane blockers.

I look first, judge the speed of the approaching train, and decide whether to go. Of course this works best if you are the first in line at the crossing.

• Edited January 28, 2022 12:14 pm  by  EdGlaze
Showtalk
Host

Jan-28

Yes. You wait and count cars.  It’s expected.

WALTER784
Staff

Jan-29

Occasionally, the lane blockers might be broke but it's rare as people usually call things like that in when they notice it.

FWIW

WALTER784
Staff

Jan-29

Never trust a train.

They have loco motives. (* BIG GRIN *)

FWIW