Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are Biden’s Supreme Court picks fair or racist and sexist?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jan-27 by Showtalk; 1114 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jan-27

Are Biden's Supreme Court picks fair or racist and sexist?
  • He made a good decision, we need a Black female Supreme Court Justice3  votes
    15%
  • It's demeaning as it is based on things they can't control, not achievements0  votes
    0%
  • It's racist and sexist to pick by race and gender3  votes
    15%
  • By selecting only one race, he discriminates against all other races0  votes
    0%
  • 2 and 33  votes
    15%
  • 3 and 44  votes
    21%
  • 2, 3 and 46  votes
    31%
  • It doesn't matter, whoever he selects will be seated as a Justice0  votes
    0%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
He made a good decision, we need a Black female Supreme Court Justice 
It's demeaning as it is based on things they can't control, not achievements 
It's racist and sexist to pick by race and gender 
By selecting only one race, he discriminates against all other races 
2 and 3 
3 and 4 
2, 3 and 4 
It doesn't matter, whoever he selects will be seated as a Justice 
Other 
The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Jan-27

I'm not a fan of diversity hires in general, but in this case I think if you want to be representative for a multiethnic country then you need to do this, but this consideration shouldn't rise above the most competent and distinguished jurists who are deserving of the position, of which there are many I am sure.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-27

He has severely limited his choices down to a few because of both race and gender restrictions he placed on himself (or he was told to do, we have no idea if he makes any decisions himself). Technically we have had Black justices, but not Hispanic, Asian or Native American.  Why not one of those groups.  I hate when they call someone “A ____.”  We are so much more than our race or gender.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Jan-27

Isn’t Sotomayor Hispanic? I take your point though, a frankly a Native American would be a fantastic choice. We had an opportunity to that with one our most distinguished higher court jurists and didn’t.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-27

Actually, she is and she’s also referred to online as a woman of color.   I’m quite concerned that they are so blatantly anti Asian.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jan-27

There are still a lot of Americans who lost friends and family during WW II and we are reminded every December of the attack on Hawaii.  I remember as a child listening to my grandparents and my uncle "discuss" who was worse? Germany or Japan.  

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-27

That is so racist I can’t even begin to talk about it. It has been long enough. They should let it go. We bombed a Japan and they are still suffering.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-27

I understand your feelings but please be polite. This isn’t the dog forum. :)

Jeri (azpaints)

Jan-27

I'm in my late 70s.   The conversations I heard were in the early 1950s.  The war and its aftermath was Much closer in time and memory.  My Uncle had served and suffered severe hearing loss but thankfully nothing else physical- just long term mental issues.   I'm sorry if my 50 yr old memory caused you distress, but I'm sure you can appreciate the distress my grandparents felt watching their son deteriorate.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jan-27

She was polite, Show, I didn't take offense.  I think she missed that the memories were from my childhood...50+ yrs ago.