Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Oil protestor starter pack   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Nov-19 by WALTER784; 1387 views.
WALTER784
Staff

Nov-29

I think there is now a list somewhere of over 6,000 some odd things made with oil byproducts!

And so many people don't even realize it. Especially those who want to ban fossil fuels!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Nov-29

They think other products will be developed, only there isn’t anything else so versatile. There is a new fabric called tencel or lyocell made out of wood pulp which is supposedly softer than cotton and is eco friendly. Eventually it decomposes.  I bought something made out of it, washed it and the clothing got hard and brittle so I returned it. It’s very nice if you never wash it.  Instructions online say to hand wash it and put it in a dryer on low. If you hang dry the clothes, it gets hard.  But if you over dry it shrinks. So you have to get it out of the dryer the moment it dries.  The other solution is dry cleaning. None are good solutions.

WALTER784
Staff

Nov-29

Yep, 200 of the 6,000 products will find an alternative material... but what about the remaining 5,800 products?

If you want to remove something, you need to replace it with something else that CAN ACTUALLY replace it.

Thus far, solar and wind cannot replace coal/oil/nuclear electricity generation.

Thus far, no material can entirely replace everything that is currently made from oil based products.

Therefore, until such time, the climate crazies need to go hibernate as this is going to be one long and cold winter for them!

FWIW 

Showtalk
Host

Nov-29

They might change their mind about the time they get frostbite.

WALTER784
Staff

Nov-29

But then, it will probably be too late!

FWIW

WALTER784 said:

Therefore, until such time, the climate crazies need to go hibernate as this is going to be one long and cold winter for them!

I remember the 1973 oil embargo crisis, when they lowered the speed limits to 55 "to save fuel". A very popular bumper sticker here in west Texas in that era, before Burt Reynolds and Sally Field did "Smokey and the Bandit" in 1977, said "Drive 70 and freeze a damn Yankee".

Then I also remember hearing about where a gub'mint regulator type thought you drill one kind of well to get regular gas, another to get premium, and yet another kind of well to get diesel.

WALTER784
Staff

Dec-7

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

"Drive 70 and freeze a damn Yankee"

I remember that. But I only remember seeing maximum speeds of 65MPH!

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

Then I also remember hearing about where a gub'mint regulator type thought you drill one kind of well to get regular gas, another to get premium, and yet another kind of well to get diesel.

(* SNORT *) now that's funny!

FWIW

Double nickel was foisted on everyone from around 1974 through the late 90s.