Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Showtalk
Host

7/6/20

You really don’t see how insulting and closed minded that is? In my experience, people throw that out when they are losing an argument as a last ditch effort.  It’s basically a way to say, “Shut up and agree with me.”

• Edited July 6, 2020 9:30 pm  by  Showtalk
MerlinsDad

7/6/20

showtalk  The fun in it for me is doing the research required to refute opinion.  Those opinions, by the way, are seldom yours, but some you have posted from some conservative opinion piece or another.  As I said, the fun is doing the research and structuring a tight refutation.

You know so little about me but you are more than willing to make assumptions.  You seem so opposed to the way I discuss that I am more than willing to withdraw from this forum, 

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

showtalk says:  "Instead, you insist on taking someone else’s opinion because they throw numbers at it, but mostly because it supports your beliefs, which are... opinions."

Of course they are.  Isn't this an opinion forum?  The strength of the opinion is how well supported it is by the applicable facts. 

showtalk says:  "Why are you so positive you are always right? No one is right 100% of the time."

I'm not.  That's why I do so much research.  I want to make sure that my opinions are based upon the facts or the best available opinion.  That's the point.  You trust your opinion pieces and I trust mine.  That's as it should be,  In the difference lies the discussion.  It's never an argument; it's always a comparison of opinions bolstered of course by facts.

You have no idea that the police cases were not caused by the virus.

I have no idea if they were or were not, but I'm willing to hold my opinion in abeyance until a scientific study either confirms or rejects the hypothesis.  As I said in the earlier post:  "there is no causal link between the protests and the increases, merely an opinion, a supposition,  Further investigation may or may not show a causal link, but today, it's merely opinion and open to debate and refutation,"

That's being opened minded. 

showtalks says: "I would think the people speaking know more than you do about it."

I criticized the rush to judgment with no evidence, only supposition, and that's all it is at this point -- supposition.  I could go on and point out that there's such consistency in the condemnations that there appears to be an underlying motive or motives.

showtalk says:  "And worse, you don’t even try to understand what I’m saying."

I've already pointed out that if I didn't understand it I would be unable to construct a coherent refutation.

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

No.  It's time to stop and examine the facts and see which ones stand the sniff test as they say.  In the particular incident where I cited Kellyanne Conway, the facts didn't stand the sniff test or the photographic evidence, so she dismissed the failed sniff test by calling them alternate facts; in other words "her own facts." 

Believe me.  It currently gets applied a lot.

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

showtalk says:  "I like discussing, but it’s not going anywhere" 

You use that phrase a lot.  What does it mean to you? 

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

I know that he has made several invalid assumptions.  That's always the starting point.

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

I too have hearing difficulties and accents are very hard.  I was giving Kissinger a pass for the sake of what could be a fascinating conversation, if both of us were younger.  He's 97.  Probably still sharp.  What he would talk about would be the stuff of history books,  Fascinating for sure, but not current.

The receptionist you discuss was not understanding the terms of her employment nor was she sensitive to the working environment.  Being religious is well and good, flaunting it is not, although I know that one of the goals of evangelicals is to evangelize at any and all opportunities. 

She obviously had a good heart, as they say, to call you to give you the news about your former assistant. 

I am amazed that they hired her again.  I wonder if she learned from her experiences and become more aware of and sensitive to the people around her. 

Jeri (azpaints)

7/6/20

I would agree, he would be an interesting conversationalist (I'm assuming I, too, could understand his accent).

she was a recent convert and her church got a new pastor.  I'm not sure why she got so odd.  She had been with the firm before I started and was easy going until the change.

She was told to call me by the dad's paralegal to ask me to the graveside services.  Kind of a no choice situation.  She did not attend as they were Jewish; I'm Christian and was honored to be included.   I'm sure she had learned from being fired, and from contact I had it appeared she honestly did learn to be more tolerant.  She was a great mother and raised two sons to be responsible and patriotic- the one made a career of the Army.  90% of the time she was a lot of fun to talk to, she just seemed to have a trigger.

MerlinsDad

7/6/20

I would too have been honored to be invited to attend a Jewish funeral.  You obviously had been important to her and she to you.  You dad's paralegal was thoughtful to have her call you.  Obviously, this was after she went back to work for them

What an odd sequence of changes in a person.  I wonder why religion changed her so much?  Sounds like she was an exceptional individual and employee except for that one blip.  One's children's are always a good testament to one's personality as a parent.  

I gather from the fact that you state she was fun to talk to that the intolerance came on rather suddenly.  That she had not been before the conversion and that she become more tolerant after her rehire. 

Jeri (azpaints)

7/7/20

I could never work out what was going on and wondered if it was marital or knowing her son was going military during the war?  Her son served in Afghanistan in a non combat position but it would have driven me nuts!  It did come on suddenly now that I think about it.