Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

kizmet1

7/4/20

Sorry, I should have been more specific to avoid being attacked.
HI did not have high rise buildings like NYC did. The Royal Hawaiian was one if the biggest.
HI was not a state at the time of attack.
Jeri (azpaints)

7/4/20

I'm still in shock.  What difference does the height of the buildings make.  A bomb in a school or a plane in a building.  Lives were lost, families were destroyed. Hearts were broken.  Being an American state has nothing to do with this,  Hawaii was an AMERICAN territory and the attack killed US servicemen, US citizens and residents of an American Territory.  2,467 Killed.  As a result on that attack on American soil, the US entered WWII and 670846 Americans were killed.  

MerlinsDad

7/4/20

kizmet says:  "911 happened at the beginning of the Bush administration. It put more than a monkey wrench into the hopes and wishes for the whole nation and probably many of our allies."

In what way?

kizmet says:  "At least the rest of the 1st term had its plans destroyed."

In what way?

kizmet says:  " I cannot imagine anyone had been schooled in how to recover from a major attack on a big city. . . "

I suspect there were briefings on attacks on big cities during the transition; notebooks that were available to the Bush team.  Obama's transition team, after all, had included a section on how to deal with a pandemic.  I can't imagine that the military didn't have several plans on dealing with attacks on major cities; perhaps not the exact targets, but close enough to help the Bush team respond effectively.

kizmet says:  ". . . yet many critics jumped all over Bush during his 2nd term just like they are trying to do with Trump now. "

And with good reason.

kizmet says:  "Bush did the best he or anyone else could have done under the circumstances." 

I'm not convinced that others couldn't have done better. Doing one's best is not always good enough, as most of us have discovered at one point or another in our lives.  Bush at least listened to and consulted with the experts and professionals in his administration, and he seemed to listen to them.  I will give him credit for listening.

kizmet says:  "911 opened up a can of worms everywhere. Any good that came from his plans for housing recovery were polished off and claimed by Obama and Associates."

Bush served for 2688 days after September 11, 2001.  Plenty of time to do good.

kizmet says:  "Obama was a "community organizer". What did he ever do to learn about real estate, finances, construction, etc. He coasted. We went through a bad housing market under Carter, too."

President Obama had been a Senator from January 3, 2005, to November 16, 2008.   As President of the United States, Obama, like Bush before him and Trump after, had access to experts on just about any subject imaginable, even "real estate, finances, construction, etc."  The role of the president is to make best use of those experts and set policy accordingly.  I don't really understand what point you are trying to make.

If you're talking about HUD's Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing role , it was intended to bolster enforcement of the Fair Housing Act of 1968.   https://www.hudexchange.info/programs/affh/

kizmet1

7/4/20

Thank you for the history lesson.
kizmet1

7/4/20

Obama had a nice smile.
MerlinsDad

7/5/20

I'm glad you think so, but he had a lot more than just his smile going for him.

Jeri (azpaints)

7/5/20

Community organizer working to make his community better , safer, for all residents. Professor of Constitutional Law.  US Senator.  He and his wife were strong church goers and raised two excellent daughters. Oh, and a good president who believed in the strength, honesty, hard work, kindness and exceptionalism of our country and Americans. 

MerlinsDad

7/5/20

All in all, an exceptional individual.  Thanks for the bio.

Jeri (azpaints)

7/5/20

And he played basketball!

MerlinsDad

7/5/20

Rather well, if I recall.  He was an exceptional person.  I would love to have lunch with him and let him tell me about the state of the world from his perspective.   I think it also remarkable that he went 8 years in office without a single scandal, which says a great deal about his ability to judge people.