Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you feed birds?   The Natural You: Wild Kingdom

Started 6/30/20 by MerlinsDad; 8407 views.
Showtalk
Host

3/4/21

You must live in a place where it’s legal. Here, squirrels are considered wildlife and feeding them is a misdemeanor.

Risa (Risa25)

3/4/21

Never heard of feeding squirrels as being illegal...and my feeder is a metal one that if anything heavier than a small bird sits on the perch, it closes up. Even the larger birds such as blue jays are too heavy for it but they enjoy the seed that falls to the ground. Enjoyed the video!!

As for wildlife, I get skunks, possums and raccoons but am too near a city to get deer, bears and so on.

Showtalk
Host

3/4/21

It depends where you live. Every state has different laws. It may have to do with whether or not squirrels carry diseases. In some areas, they do.

Risa (Risa25)

3/4/21

Squirrels do carry tularemia (also carried by rabbits), typhus, ringworm and plague, along with other diseases not harmful to humans. However, you would have to have direct contact such as a bite, by a squirrel to contract any of these. I just leave the food out on the flagstones and the little buggers gorge themselves--one tried to drag off half a butternut squash which was about its same body size, lol. The cats love watching them too:)
Showtalk
Host

3/4/21

I’m concerned about flea borne diseases getting onto my animals.