Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever lived in a dangerous inner city?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started 10/15/20 by Showtalk; 4180 views.
Showtalk
Host

10/16/20

So you can’t win. It’s either bad or worse.

Solitaire13

10/16/20

One thing that comes to mind is how lenient enforcement of the law has become over the years regarding small stuff and how it seems to have spawned a greater degree in both frequency and seriousness of infractions committed today.

Showtalk
Host

10/16/20

I agree. If they can get away with little things, they push the limits.

kizmet1

10/16/20

Exactly.
kizmet1

10/16/20

I have been in this house over 20 years and had a lot of vandalism on either side and could never get a cop out here. I think the vandals knew that.
Solitaire13

10/16/20

There was an elderly couple near here. The husband was very ill. One day a small group of kids was bouncing a ball off of their garage doors, which had glass windows.  Afraid to go out herself,  she called the police. When they came, the police chastised the elderly woman saying that the kids need somewhere to play. Play? Really? Since when? No respect for private property. 

We have a terrible parking problem on our street. It is a very tight one way street and it is very hard to parallel park. An elderly neighbor across the street had a handicapped parking spot for his ill wife. People were always crowding his spot. He got tired of it and called the police because of cars parked over the blue line. The police came and spoke with the car owners and also reprimanded the elderly man for bothering them.

kizmet1

10/17/20

Sounds more and more typical of 21st century.
When I was young with my first car I came close to having my battery wires cut and battery stolen. It seems vandals were making money on used batteries. My mother and I parked our cars engine to engine so thieves could not reach the latch. I got a ticket for parking facing the wrong way. Must have been a slow day for cop if he could take the time to get out and put a ticket on my window? My mother went to court and scolded the cop in front of the judge and ticket dropped.

I would never want to set foot within 500 miles of such a place. Unfortunately, Dallas-Ft Worth and San Antonio and El Paso are all within that radius.

Hard core survivalists say I'm way too close to an Interstate highway, as one really should be more than 2 tankfuls of gas from major cities, so the goblins don't show up on my doorstep when the fecal matter hits the air impeller.

Showtalk
Host

10/18/20

Does Texas even have inner cities? It all seems so open.  

Showtalk said:

Does Texas even have inner cities? It all seems so open.

I have heard, but never seen first hand, that there are places in Dallas that you don't go running around in at night. However, Texas was settled much later than the dense eastern cities, so they haven't had as much chance to form true ghettos or slums.

I remember as a kid that my parents described the slums we read about in various literature in places like New York, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, etc. were much bigger than our entire town and had 100x the population crammed into those spaces.

Most of Odessa and Midland seem to be fairly well mixed although there's always Snob Drive where all the conspicuous consumption people live, and now in rural Midland County off of Hwy 191 are these huge mansions on a lot of acreage that each cost north of $5 million.

But yeah, there are some urban blighted areas just about everywhere.