Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Need Technical Help   The Online You: Internet Life

Started 11/9/20 by kizmet1; 2618 views.
Showtalk
Host

12/27/20

Do you have other internet options?

It's now been 102 years since the Great Molasses Flood.

Only if I were to cough up $3 million to have many miles of optical fiber buried from somewhere in town at an internet backbone connection all the way out to the house. Then I could easily get gigabit speeds.

But the length of copper wire or radio signals and finite spectrum available tends to limit the speed I'll ever be able to get out here.

At higher frequencies the atmospheric water vapor absorption of signals just gets worse and worse. This is one of the technical reasons that 5G needs a LOT more towers - because not only is it fast, but the signal range is very short.

kizmet1

1/17/21

Just think, my grandparents were alive then and back home in Indiana. I wonder if the molasses was competing with the Spanish Flu then?
Showtalk
Host

1/17/21

Then it’s time for another molasses flood...or not.

Showtalk
Host

1/17/21

But 5G itself is a danger. Don’t you read the tech data?  Lots of theories about it, none factual.  People really believe that stuff. There must be a good way to get high speed to rural areas.

The molasses was to try and get alcohol production done before Prohibition hit a year later.

So it was the calendar that was competing against the molasses, and that was why the tank was over-filled at the time.

Showtalk said:

Lots of theories about it, none factual. People really believe that stuff. There must be a good way to get high speed to rural areas.

Evidently, these days pseudoscience tends to win out over facts especially if the facts are kind of boring and dry. Those don't hold the attention of the proletariat the way that binge-watching old episodes of Jeremy Kyle (Britain) or Jerry Springer (US) and Maury Povich acts as the modern opiate of the masses.

Rural areas don't spend enough money for those in charge of internet connectivity to really bother with. The tech giants look at anyone outside of the dense blue coastal cities as a bunch of uneducated hayseed hicks, and were written off as not worth the time or effort to build out infrastructure to.

Hell, they probably think that we in "Flyover Country" don't have running water or flush toilets or electricity.

Showtalk
Host

1/29/21

There is a reason why tech giants are located in or near big cities. I doubt most have ever lived in a rural area, or they escaped when they could. Funny those who claim to want diversity the most are often the most rigid against real diversity.

Showtalk said:

I doubt most have ever lived in a rural area, or they escaped when they could. Funny those who claim to want diversity the most are often the most rigid against real diversity.

Yep. I've suffered with horribly slow internet connectivity since it was first invented. And based on numerous activities the tech giants have taken in the past month, it's also as obviously noticeable as a tarantula on a white pillowcase, that they actually hate those who live in a rural area, and see them as enemy combatants.