Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Was Meghan Markle right to air royal family secrets to Oprah?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Mar-8 by Showtalk; 11003 views.
Showtalk
Host

Mar-17

Do you hate the British and the monarchy?  It sounds like it, and that you are projecting that hatred onto Canada because it’s convenient.  We allow debate on this forum but when comments become personal it crosses a line.  

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-18

I never said anything about decision making. I said you accept her, a foreigner who doesn't live in your country, as your SYMBOLIC head of state. If you don't think symbolism is important, you have little imagination.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-18

I'm sorry if you feel insulted. I'm stating simple facts - a monarchical system means one person at the top and everyone else beneath them. And a monarch from a foreign country, who doesn't even show respect by living in the country, surely suggests a lack of national pride. Why would a proud citizen want a foreign dwelling person as their head of state? It doesn't make sense.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-18

I have nothing against the British. The British and Irish have a close relationship, I have lived and worked there, and my daughter lives there now. But I certainly have something against the concept of monarchy, be it Britain or Thailand or Belgium...nothing personal

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Mar-18

Quite the contrary, I do think symbolism is important, but the fact is that Elizabeth the second is an afterthought here, only those Canadians with strong bonds back to Britain are likely (but not all I'm sure) to have some affinity for the Monarchy.

WALTER784

Mar-18

Is mise. (Altermahn) said...

Well, you can't have national pride if you are happy to have a foreigner who has only visited  your  country a handful of times as your head of state, and you can't have self respect if you are happy to be considered inferior to this person.

That sounds a little bit like a low blow if you ask me.

I have numerous Canadian friends and they are much close to The Rock's explanation than the box you're attempting to draw around Canadians!

FWIW

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

Mar-18

You are presenting an equation entirely in your own thinking, no one in Canada sees the Royals as being beneath them, they are an afterthought as I mentioned before, Canadian national pride is not tied to this in any way and you need to quit seeing it in this way because it's not advancing the conversation here.

Showtalk
Host

Mar-18

I’m not insulted, however, I’m not sure I understand your reasoning on this. There are rational, political reasons for this which I just read about because I’m curious. Are you aware that the Head of State of a country has different obligations than the Head of Government. In the United States, the President must fulfill both functions and can’t because its too time consuming. So the role of opening bridges and important buildings falls to the First Spouse or the Vice President.  In Canada, the Queen fills a symbolic role.

In order to remove the monarchy it would require a constitutional amendment in Canada, which could cause serious damage to the country and to the peace between provinces.   It’s easy to criticize another country, but not so easy to make the sweeping change you, an outsider, think they need to make,

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-18

She may be an afterthought, but she's still your head of state. For most people in most countries, that's a pretty big deal. You have to show commitment to the country before you can even put yourself before the public to be chosen, because it's an honour. A head of state is the public face, if you like, of a country, and represents the people. Your head of state doesn't do any of that. I genuinely fail to understand how a person can say they are proud of their country when they place so little value in themselves as a citizen and in the role of head of state

Is mise. (Altermahn)

Mar-18

I'm not making any blow, low or high. I'm stating a FACT. If you are happy for an unelected foreigner, who doesn't even live in your country, to occupy the highest office in the land, what does that say about your national pride? Can you imagine Americans electing a non-resident foreigner as President? Or the French? Or us Irish? There was enough furore about Obama's possibly not being American born...