Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Was Meghan Markle right to air royal family secrets to Oprah?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started 3/8/21 by Showtalk; 11949 views.
Is mise. (Altermahn)

3/18/21

I thought you were Canadian? 

Is mise. (Altermahn)

3/18/21

The_Rock (JABRONI256) said:

"Again, not in anyway that makes any decisions so no one pays it much mind."

I've explained several times, and you've agree, that it's about symbolism. You just don't agree that the symbolism of monarch/subject relationship is important. 

"You don't know anything about Canada so you can't make that case that we place little value on our citizenship"

Well, if what you are telling me is true, Canadians don't care that the role of representing and embodying them is occupied by someone who doesn't live in the country. I find it strange that you would value citizenship and then be so blasé about a foreigner being the embodiment of your nationhood.

"Our Prime Minister does that, her representative, the Governor General merely acts as a ceremonial figure. "

Your governor general is representing a woman who lives in London and has no commitment or interest in your country. Your prime minister runs your country.

"

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

3/18/21

As a symbol, there's no power there, her supposed reps are appointed by us and not her and they can't direct our House of Commons.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

3/18/21

Is mise. (Altermahn) said:

Well, if what you are telling me is true, Canadians don't care that the role of representing and embodying them is occupied by someone who doesn't live in the country. I find it strange that you would value citizenship and then be so blasé about a foreigner being the embodiment of your nationhood.

You're confusing representation with governing, that's not the case here.

Is mise. (Altermahn) said:

Your governor general is representing a woman who lives in London and has no commitment or interest in your country. Your prime minister runs your country.

Correct, the Governor General is a ceremonial representative, that has no governing power.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

3/18/21

The symbolism, as I've said about three times now, isn't about power. It's about status and position. A monarch is ABOVE, the rest of the people are BELOW. 

Is mise. (Altermahn)

3/18/21

"You're confusing representation with governing, that's not the case here."

Not at all. I have outlined the difference.  A head of government governs, a head of state represents the people. In some cases, as in the US and France, the same person occupies both roles. In others, like Ireland, Germany and Italy, the role of head of state is separate.

So it doesn't matter that the governor general has no governing power. This is about the role of representing the people being taken by a non resident foreigner.

Showtalk
Host

3/18/21

I live in the U.S. if I were Canadian, I would not likely be asking questions about how their governmental system works.

Showtalk
Host

3/18/21

Ok, thank you. I’m still sorting it out.

Is mise. (Altermahn)

3/18/21

Ah ok, sorry. You see, your president is both head of state and head of government, whereas in Canada the roles are separate. The head of state carries out certain duties, whether they are elected or handed the job.

If you were Canadian, why wouldn't you be questioning the role of the head of state, assuming that you think democracy and equality are important?

Showtalk
Host

3/18/21

I have no idea what I would think if I was Canadian. As a U.S.resident, their system is none of my business.