Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do we need universal childcare?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started May-10 by Showtalk; 1627 views.
The_Rock (JABRONI256)

May-13

I wouldn't say that at all, States rights are way more important vs the Federal Government than our split jurisdictions and powers here.

The_Rock (JABRONI256)

May-13

I'm not sure what's better, Now granted I'm not a parent so my stake in he education argument is based purely on wanting a society of educated people; personally I think Government *can* be part of the solution, but ideologies cloud so much of that judgement, but just to give a local example, I know so many graduated students who achieved degrees in human rights disciplines and work dead end jobs to this day, or can't increase their earning potential, very recently our Provincial Government switched tacts and is trying to switch away from humanities into disciplines that will generate employment post convocation, which I agree with.

Showtalk
Host

May-13

Alright.  Your set up is new to me.

Showtalk
Host

May-13

Sciences, engineering and tech jobs tend to pay more than general liberal arts/humanities, if someone uses their majors in their careers.  ROI or return in investment with a degree is higher if someone utilizes what they’ve learned in school. Of not, generalized critical thinking skills can translate into money but school isn’t necessary to learn that.

WALTER784

May-14

Showtalk said...

They also find that their positions can bring them unheard of wealth.  If that isn’t true, why do they go to DC with modest incomes or investments and leave ridiculously well off? 

They are on the "Deep State" take... behind the scenes... off the books payments obscured such that they cannot be traced.

If you can come up with a better explanation, I'm all ears!

FWIW

WALTER784

May-14

Showtalk said...

Are any of those paid positions? Did you like the job? The closest we have to that are HOAs, but that affects only a small percentage of homes. We also have Neighborhood Watch, but only for safety.

Block chiefs are not paid, subsection Managers get $300/yr. area Presidents get $500/yr. Nothing to really brag about. It's not for the money, but it's a seat that must be filled and they give you just minimal remuneration to fill the job. It's on a rotational basis. Elderly and those mentally unable to perform the tasks are overlooked, but for the rest of those who live in the area, it's on a rotation basis. I've been subsection Manager 3 times and have lived here 34 years, so it's like roughly once every 10 or so years.

There is a separate Neighborhood watch group, but that's basically managed by those who have kids and inter-connected with the local schools PTA groups as well. No monies are paid to them, but they do have a voice in our local area meetings to address concerns about possible dangers/problems kids face walking or riding their bikes to and from school. You'll see their volunteers out early morning as kids go to school and also after school is out on their way home. They have special florescent vests and flags to direct cars to stop and allow kids to cross the street, etc. on their way to and from school.

It's also coordinated between areas too because there could be two or four areas between where the kids live and the schools they attend. Elementary schools are usually within 1 kilometer, Junior high schools can be 2 ~ 5 kilometers, where as high schools might require a train stop or two greater than 5 kilometers.

FWIW

• Edited May 14, 2021 8:28 am  by  WALTER784
WALTER784

May-14

Showtalk said...

has made assumptions based on your posts

You know what they say about assumptions... they make an a$$ out of you and me! But he was incorrect.

Showtalk said...

Libertarian here is a political party where he is talking about an ideology. 

Here it's a political party and thus I commented accordingly.

FWIW

WALTER784

May-14

The_Rock (JABRONI256) said...

Touched a nerve huh? I see you're a sensitive soul.

Nope... I'm not a libertarian and I'm also not a sensitive soul either. So wrong on both accounts!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

May-14

They also get prime book deals, expensive speaking engagements and are offered jobs when they leave office based on their access to DC.

Showtalk
Host

May-14

It sounds like a required “volunteer” community service position. Did you wife ever have to take a job?