Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Just why?   The Jovial You: Humor, Jokes and Riddles

Started May-27 by WALTER784; 713 views.
Showtalk
Host

Jun-11

Are the boxed things valuable?

WALTER784

Jun-12

Showtalk said...

Are the boxed things valuable?

Some could be, but for the most part, not so valuable.

For example, kid gets out of school and has oodles of comic magazines in his room. Dad wants to use the room as a study so he carts out all the magazines, match box cars, other toys, etc. their kid had in that room and boxes them up and puts them in the garage.

30 or 40 years later, comic magazines and match box cars sell for a fortune. In this case, they weren't valuable when they were boxed up, but numerous years later, a boom craze starts up and their prices go through the roof!

Often times, they're just boxed up clothes, sheets, curtains, unused items that just take up space in the house.

That's where the original term garage sale came from. One day, they would open up their garage and try to sell/get rid of as much stuff as they could! 80-90% was just junk though.

FWIW

• Edited June 12, 2021 1:15 am  by  WALTER784
Showtalk
Host

Jun-12

Ood cloths, sheets and curtains could be given away nor sold, as you said, have you read the Marie Kondo book?

WALTER784

Jun-13

Showtalk said...

have you read the Marie Kondo book?

Nope...

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jun-13

It’s about getting rid of  things you will never use again. 

WALTER784

Jun-13

Showtalk said...

It’s about getting rid of  things you will never use again. 

My wife and I do that at the end of every year... we call it the "Big Cleaning"!

We open up all the closets, take everything out, go through what we want to keep and what we don't need any more.

Once we find the "don't need anymore things", we bring them to the local school's bargain shopper's day to see if others will just give a few pennies for things we don't need. Anything that isn't sold there is donated to places that collect goods for homeless people.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jun-13

It’s a good idea. Otherwise when someone retires and downsizes its overwhelming for them or for their children.

WALTER784

Jun-13

Well, we own our own home (mortgage paid off 7 years ago) and don't plan on downsizing.

And I just retired this past March. So I plan on staying where I am.

My father just turned 91 last month and also lives in his own home. He too has gotten rid of lots of things he doesn't need over the past 20 years too.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jun-13

I know older people who could not keep up a home after a while.  They all ended up in nursing homes or some kind of assisted living

WALTER784

Jun-13

My grandmother lived the last 20 years of her life alone in her own home until the age of 95. Grandfather passed away at 75.

My dad just turned 91 and he's been living alone in his house now for the last 8 years since my mom died.

My mother in law lived alone in her house for the last 4 years after she lost her husband and passed away at 86 years of age.

My Aunt is 84 and she's been living alone in her house now for the last 4 years since her husband died.

I guess it depends on how healthy you are.

FWIW