Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you worried about a meat shortage due to hacking?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started 6/1/21 by Showtalk; 1652 views.
WALTER784

Jun-10

Well, if you're a meat eater, you have beef, pork, chicken, sheep (mutton), deer, duck, emu and many other types of fowl (quail, pheasant, etc.), fish (all kinds), bear and many others.

The Japanese eat red meat, but they also eat a lot more fish and other animals too.

As for volume... I always find the portions I get at US restaurants TOO large. That's why I always go for the filet minion because it's usually the smallest cut.

Each time I visit the US, it's usually to go to a company which my company was doing business with. They would always take 8 or 10 members out for dinner. We got the cold dishes (shrimp cocktail, salad, soup first) I was just about full on just those items even before the main menu came. LOL. I've lived in Japan so long, I've gotten used to eating a lot less than when I was in the US. So when the main course comes out, I eat the entire meat, but often leave some of the baked potato or fries because they're just too much. And finally, every else orders a big dessert, but I pass on the dessert because it's just too much already.

Waiters and waitresses often ask me if there was something wrong with the meal because I always leave some on the plate, but I always reply that it was delicious... but the portions were just too much.

So if you learn to cut back a bit, and/or change your dietary habits, you can drastically reduce your food budget.

FWIW

Edited to add: [I just wish they would serve smaller regular portions and charge extra if you want a larger volume.]

• Edited June 10, 2021 6:19 am  by  WALTER784

Everything has additives these days, unless you grew it yourself. And then of course when doing normal processing and cooking, you add additives although we often call them condiments.

Showtalk said:

when I saw steak was $33 a pound, I didn’t even consider it. Instead, I got a different type of meat for $4 a lb

Same here. I respond to high prices of one food kind with switching to something else.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-11

People count on extras to take home as leftovers.  

Showtalk
Host

Jun-11

Usually condiments aren’t as harmful as secret additives.  Supposedly subway head to change their bread recipe because it contained an ingredient also found in tires.  They did and the bread became tasteless.  They lost business over it.

Showtalk said:

Usually condiments aren’t as harmful as secret additives

Things like melamine to bulk up cereals, or formaldehyde to retard spoilage? (thinking of some of the stuff in Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle")

Showtalk
Host

Jun-11

It sounds unappetizing.  We need to read labels.

Both of those things are illegal to add to food, and both are actually toxic. But they have been used as additives in the bad old days. Melamine is used in the manufacture of countertops and not intended for ingestion. Formaldehyde of course is embalming fluid and is rather poisonous. Neither should be anywhere near food. But unfortunately, some unscrupulous characters have done unsavory things in the past and that is why we now have such a maze of regulatory red tape

Showtalk
Host

Jun-13

Red tape is good if it saves lives.

Yeah, there is a correct amount of red tape to keep the worst people from exploiting unsuspecting consumers, desperate workers, etc.

Then there's an excess of red tape that merely hamstrings honest hardworking people with incomprehensible mazes and saps resources to deal with pointless regulatory compliance costs - often regulations written by clueless elite bureaucrats thousands of miles away who have never worked an honest day in their lives in an industry they know almost nothing about.

A classic example from the late 1970s. There was some federal regulatory type that was inspecting drilling rigs for some obscure safety measures that actually were less safe than some more innovative measures that companies were not allowed to do even though overseas, it had a better proven track record than the antiquated methods rigidly imposed in the US.

This dude really believed that you drill one kind of well and you get "regular". You drill another kind of well and you get unleaded. You drill yet another well and you get "premium" and finally another well produces diesel.

The frightening thing is the power this clueless bureaucrat had, the ability to totally shut down a drilling operation over almost anything petty.

And such a bureaucrat mindset was portrayed almost perfectly in the movie "Ghostbusters" where the EPA dude shut down the containment grid.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ObstructiveBureaucrat