Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Would you pay extra for a food shopper to also put away your groceries?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Jun-1 by Showtalk; 2037 views.
Showtalk said:

A friend is so compulsively neat she can’t ever have anything out of place. Her house is perfectly neat, but she’s miserable. There must be a connection there.

Those are the houses I'm afraid to visit, because I'm afraid of possibly leaving traces of hair and fiber and of course whatever was stepped in while crossing the lawn.

But yeah - I've wondered how fast the people who keep a perfectly neat house would burn out and how many years they lop off of their lifespan from the stress, and how much less retirement savings they have from the expense of trying to keep everything perfect.

I figure, if the "special kitty" craps in the floor instead of the sandbox, wait till it dries to deal with it and it's far less work to clean up, then sprinkle Febreze there once it's scraped up, but it would be a Sisyphean task in futility to ever get the house even close to that level of clean, even with the floor and lower walls replaced in tile with a drain in the middle of each room so the floors could be hosed down.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-11

This person cleans all the time. It’s therapeutic.

Sounds more like a bad case of OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder) but maybe it's therapeutic in a way.

But then there is also the hoarding type of OCD where one can never begin to declutter because they are afraid of not doing it perfectly so they never begin.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-13

This person is definitely clutter free. Even her garage is organized.  It’s nice to go in there and find things.  Her husband isn’t a hands on person, though, so he has no tools.  A lot of garage mess is tools and equipment and supplies, like nails, bolts, etc.

Oh, my place looks like a disaster scene even on a good day.

I know that I could never possibly have a snowball's chance in hell of ever having a place that neat. It would mean having to have a very large source of income that didn't require actually going to work to obtain - but effectively i'd have to devote all my waking hours just to cleaning and straightening and nothing else - no time to watch TV, no time to do anything else.

Those kinds of places actually give me the heebie-jeebies at some primal level, and my knee jerk assessment is "that person has no real life" and "they are wasting their life on appearances at the expense of any substance"

Without some entropy allowed to happen, I don't see how someone could possibly enjoy life.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-13

She’s not a very happy person. You figured her out.

Most people who try to maintain a television commercial type spotless house like a Stepford wife are not happy.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-15

Or they learned it as children and it became their comfort zone.

Showtalk said:

Or they learned it as children and it became their comfort zone.

Could be. I knew someone who required everyone take their shoes off before entering. I haven't been back over there in about 5 years.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-18

Was it due to dirt or custom?