Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

You Have One Week to Tell Amazon Not to   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-2 by WALTER784; 2201 views.
Showtalk
Host

Jun-6

I saw that on a TV drama.

WALTER784

Jun-6

Showtalk said...

I saw that on a TV drama.

That was probably one I saw about 15 or more years ago.

Back then... it was fiction, but today... it's real and can happen.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jun-6

It can. 

WALTER784 said:

All of that... YES... and one even more scary thing is new model cars of today with their auto steering/driving features. Somebody could hack into your car and control it without your knowledge. Cause you to go through red lights, when you hit the brakes, your car accelerates instead because it's been hacked, etc. Those are the really scary and dangerous things.

One more reason I'm holding on to an older car right up until the wheels fall off. Looks like a lot of people will hopefully push back on this kind of stuff.

Yep. I do not trust Alexa at all and have no problem rooting a phone to delete it from anything where it was factory installed.

Showtalk said:

It can also be used to turn off AC in summer and heat in winter.

Another reason to not allow that kind of stuff in one's home.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-7

That would be a smart thermostat.  Apparently Google has put in a lot of new protections for users following bad publicity.

Showtalk said:

That would be a smart thermostat. Apparently Google has put in a lot of new protections for users following bad publicity.

I have heard of things like someone hacking into a smart refrigerator, and setting it to bring the interior to nearly room temperature when the legitimate owner is at work then chilling it back down so it's cold again when he gets home, to make food spoil prematurely.

I still think of faceless megacorps as outfits that can cut corners on safety and get away with it, because they can paper over things and have very good lawyers, while mom and pop operations have to actually follow the rules or be shut down.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-11

That has always been true. Large corporations have more resources.