Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A Group Of Parents Sent Their Kids' Face   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-18 by WALTER784; 716 views.

So it was more of a report on what kind of stuff is airborne in a typical school, that kids can catch and how nasty that the school is, that some people morphed into an indictment about the ineffectiveness of masks. Sounds to me like a case of examining the air filter on a pickup truck after going up and down oil field roads all day, noticing the amount of dust and grit and bugs and pollen and things that could destroy an engine, and saying it was proof that oil filters don't work, rather than noting the amount of stuff stirred up on a dirt road.

WALTER784

Jun-19

Quite similar... sounds like the school itself might be quarantined and investigated to find out why those things are rampant at the school!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jun-19

Yes, those pathogens are in the air they breathe, but they weren’t getting diseases from them.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-19

I want to know about that too.

Showtalk said:

Yes, those pathogens are in the air they breathe, but they weren’t getting diseases from them.

Most kids who aren't immunocompromised usually can shrug off low levels of pathogen exposure. But it is always a game of chance. You never know who is more sensitive to infection,, and of course some of them could get a severe infection.

But it also illustrates that a school is full of asymptomatic carriers, or otherwise the critters wouldn't be viable and able to be cultured in a Petri dish.

Having no children is one way to reduce one's level of exposure to all sorts of pathogens, as schools are notorious for being Petri dishes of disease exchange going back decades before Covid.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-19

Given the amount of disease children and parents are exposed to, they stay remarkably healthy.

Showtalk said:

Given the amount of disease children and parents are exposed to, they stay remarkably healthy.

Except for those who have been raised in a nearly sterile environment. They seem to have horrible allergies and asthma and other autoimmune / inflammation type disorders, even things like diabetes and fibromyalgia and other things.

WALTER784

Jun-20

Showtalk said...

I have seen 5 or 6 reports over the past 20 years of studies done on children of the very rich who had butlers and maids keep the house spick and span clean with no dust what so ever versus those who lived in some of the poorest dirtiest environments, and in most of the reports I read, it said that those who were brought up in the less desirable/less favorable environments seemed to have a stronger imuno ability to germs.

I saw a few reports that also said those who lived in the really posh environments also tended to have more allergies than those who lived in less than favorable conditions too!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jun-23

Some, but it doesn’t account for all those in the same environment who don’t develop any diseases or conditions.

Showtalk
Host

Jun-23

Allergies are a combination of heredity and early childhood exposure.  Studies are now showing that antibiotic use before the age of 6 months contributes to extreme allergic reactions in  children.