Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should our desert communities make water from air?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Jun-30 by Showtalk; 9142 views.
WALTER784 said:

In the not too distant future, we need to change the thinking about "wearing the stupid sign" to "wearing the I'm not stupid sign" once the stupids become the majority! (* GULP *)

Brawndo. It's got electrolytes!

One of the few movies made since 2000 that I have seen. "Idiocracy".

WALTER784

Jul-21

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

One of the few movies made since 2000 that I have seen. "Idiocracy".

I've heard about it but not seen it.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Jul-21

Were people seriously harmed by the outages?

• Edited July 21, 2021 6:19 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk said:

Were people seriously harmed by the outages?

Yes. 111 confirmed deaths and billions in property damage.

most of the deaths were carbon monoxide poisoning and hypothermia. Quite a few died in cars idling trying to get warm or charge their phones to have communication as the power stayed out for days.

Some were found frozen to death in their beds, wrapped in all the blankets they could possibly find, with indoor temperatures well below freezing because so many homes were built as "total electric".

Others were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning from bringing barbecue grilles and other things indoors and lighting them in a desperate attempt to keep from freezing.

And then finally around Friday the 19th, temperatures climbed above freezing and things thawed all over the state. That is when the property damage went through the roof.

A lot of "McMansions" were built with almost no insulation, and water pipes were all in the exterior walls. During days without heat, these pipes froze solid. As any first semester chemistry student knows, water is one of the rare substances that expands, rather forcefully, as it freezes.

Elemental bismuth is one of the others, which forms incredibly iridescent crystal patterns due to the expansion as it solidifies.

Well, as pipes thawed, municipal water systems suddenly had demand of tens of millions of gallons per minute. They couldn't maintain enough water pressure to maintain a sanitary system, which led to the boil water notices.

But that water wasn't coming out of faucets. It sprayed out of burst pipes in the walls of hundreds of thousands of homes. Many people had fled in their cars and now came home to a flooded house. It ruined drywall. It mildewed carpet It quickly promoted the growth of black mold.

Many houses are still, months later, uninhabitable.

Every bit of pipe and plumbing fittings were sold out by the end of February, and there remain shortages even now.

There are people who lost fingers, toes, parts of their noses and lips to frostbite. Some developed respiratory problems from which they have not recovered.

so the lawsuits are easily mounting into the tens of billions of dollars in property damage alone, and uncounted more in bodily injury / medical bills.

Showtalk
Host

Jul-30

That was very serious considering it was a freak snowstorm.

and the fecal matter is still hitting the air impeller. Claims are going to be tied up in court for a very long time.

And now with Delta variant Covid sweeping through the state due to too-lax protocols that could have gotten ahead of it, things are likely to take even longer to be resolved.

A friend of mine who is fully vaccinated is getting over a breakthrough infection right now. He thinks he caught it getting a snack at a "stop and rob" (convenience store) last week, probably from one of the dozens of unmasked, unvaccinated people packed into the store.

The doctors told him he's lucky. As ill as he became, a full 3 months after full vaccination, they say he probably would have been on a ventilator or in the morgue by now if not vaccinated.

I did mention my sister found out she had an asymptomatic case of breakthrough covid, also the Delta variant (they are doing a lot more genome sequencing in New Mexico than in Texas).

So far I haven't noticed any symptoms or other reason to get tested, but we have a huge outbreak of Delta among the unvaccinated. As my friend who is recovering from it says, they play stupid games, they win stupid prizes. He is staying put and well isolated, because evidently if you get a breakthrough infection of Delta variant, you are still going to be infectious.

The actual breakthrough infection rate is suspected at a couple of percent or so, but that can vary by quite a bit, and of course the actual statistics are only knowable after the fact from known cases, which may modify early extrapolations. It's really a matter of trying to get into the ballpark as to risk factors and severity from a handful of data points, and those numbers get fleshed out better as cases rise.

So my suspicion is the fully vaccinated breakthrough rate with Delta might be as high as 10% if you're exposed to it, because Delta is much, much more contagious than the original, and evidently an unvaccinated individual who catches Delta may have a viral load up to a thousand times higher than the previous strains.

WALTER784

Aug-5

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

A friend of mine who is fully vaccinated is getting over a breakthrough infection right now. He thinks he caught it getting a snack at a "stop and rob" (convenience store) last week, probably from one of the dozens of unmasked, unvaccinated people packed into the store.

Trying to pin the blame on the unvaccinated and unmasks is not working as well today as it used to.

Recently, many studies have shown that those who are already vaxed and have been infected are also spreading the new Delta variant as quickly if not even quicker than the unvaccinated people. That was from a city which had over 70% of the people vaccinated. 

Likewise, older information said that those who were vaccinated wouldn't get the severe after effects if they got infected, but that too is proving to be untrue as a good majority of those whom are in intensive care now ARE those whom have been vaccinated.

So now, you need to get the vaccination to keep from getting it but you get the Delta variant anyway.

And, if you get the vaccination, it will prevent you from getting the really adverse effects and you will only have mild effects, but recent data has also proven that false too.

But all along... they keep pushing this vaccination which doesn't prevent you from getting the virus nor does it stave off the adverse effects!!!

Tell me now... where is the science in this? It sounds only like political science without any proof.

You're likely to get COVID regardless of whether you've been vaccinated or not.

You're gonna be a COVID spreader if you get it regardless of whether you've been vaccinated or not.

And you may experience the same adverse effects regardless of whether you've been vaccinated or not.

Bottom line: Getting vaccinated doesn't really help much at all! And those are the facts.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-5

That is not completely true.  Everyone has an angle.  Yes, vaccines aren’t 100% or foolproof but it’s still a small percentage and the cases are mild.  I know of four people who got Covid after vaccination.  They got over it very quickly. I know two in their 20s who got Covid twice.  They were not vaccinated since they had it once, but they got the variant.  The doctor told them they are likely now highly immune to future cases.

I saw a young adult I know who had Covid for 5 weeks 17 months ago and still has health problems.  This person got vaccinated, and said it’s a terrible disease that no one should ever want to get.

WALTER784

Aug-6

Showtalk said...

Yes, vaccines aren’t 100% or foolproof but it’s still a small percentage and the cases are mild.  I know of four people who got Covid after vaccination.  They got over it very quickly. I know two in their 20s who got Covid twice.  They were not vaccinated since they had it once, but they got the variant.  The doctor told them they are likely now highly immune to future cases.

So per Fauci's science... even though they've had COVID twice... and the doctor told them they are likely now highly immune to future cases... they should get the vaccination... and the vaxers will still push them to get vaxed and bad-mouth and dox them if they don't!!! Go figure. What ever happened to our freedom of choice?

BTW... Did you know that getting a vaccination passport is suppressive and discriminatory?

Showtalk said...

I saw a young adult I know who had Covid for 5 weeks 17 months ago and still has health problems.  This person got vaccinated, and said it’s a terrible disease that no one should ever want to get.

Yes, there are a few cases like that but they are rare.

Showtalk said...

That is not completely true.

It was true in each and every locale where those statistics were collected. It may not be that way in all locales, but it was for those which the report was made.

Showtalk said...

Everyone has an angle.

Yes, except nobody on the left wants to except my angle that I don't need the vaccination... even though it's my angle and my freedom of choice! However, most people on the right feel that it should be my choice whether to get vaccinated or not. And it's only the left who send hate speech for those who don't want to get vaccinated. Those on the right don't send hate speech for either those who want to get vaccinated, have already gotten vaccinated or for those who don't want to get vaccinated!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Aug-6

There should be exceptions for people who have had covid twice. Again, they need a way to test for antibodies.  Wouldn’t you want to know if you have them?