Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Banning Videos   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 10/13/21 by WALTER784; 5775 views.
WALTER784

10/16/21

The_Rock (JABRONI256) said...

In practice you should always do so, but there is (on youtube at least) some leeway depending on how the content is consumed, if, like me you produce long form content that is well researched and is destined to be viewed (hopefully) by many people then it's imperative to have your Ps and Qs minded when it comes to content you've included that you don't own, if, on the other hand you are making home movies that have a very limited number of eyes on it I think Youtube kind of leaves you alone and anyone scraping would determine that it would be a waste of time going after someone for use in this context. 

But after following that stringent policy of ensuring your content was of value to millions... and Youtube just up and said... your content doesn't fit the narrative of our agenda... how would you feel about that? Not due to anything wrong that you did... only that it doesn't fit their agenda!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

10/16/21

Home videos are usually private anyway.

Showtalk said:

You probably don’t have dozens of old school friend to keep up with. Facebook is like an ongoing holiday letter to friends.

I was so much of a socially awkward type that in school, most of the other kids were like NPC (non-playable characters) who I mostly had to tolerate, but early years of being bullied made me quite the loner. So I didn't really form very tight bonds. It was more like transient acquaintances. Although I remember many of them decades later, I have no clue where most of them are or what has happened with them, and haven't interacted with most for a very long time.

Occasionally I'll stumble on an obituary and recognize the name, and see "after a brief illness" or "after a long illness" and then "survived by ___, spouse of 40 years, four children and eleven grandchildren."

But in two cases, I ran across their names in the news when finding out they are incarcerated and will spend their final days there.

Showtalk
Host

10/17/21

Jail? That is sad. Even social types don’t always keep up with high school people.  It’s not like most have much choice over friends at that age.  You mostly know whoever happens to be in your school, your age and in the same classes, or if they live down the block. It’s very random.

Quite random. But, what surprised me even in my mid 20s, were the number of obituaries that already were starting to appear. Now a lot of them have keeled over from heart attacks, and a few succumbed to cancer in their 30s and early 40s.

If any expired from Covid, I don't know yet. It's certainly possible.

Showtalk
Host

10/18/21

Cancer is less expected in young adults. Usually accidents are a major reason.

Showtalk said:

Accidents were responsible for the first few fatalities in my graduating class. I found out years later that another was murdered, apparently in a love triangle that went bad. then there was the first cancer case at only 31. The first fatal heart attack I know of was at 39, the second at 42, and the third at 48, then a cluster of 3 more in the mid 50s.

And of course a steady drizzle of accidents, and a couple of others with debilitating degenerative diseases - complications from diabetes, one case of I think Lou Gehrig's Disease, and a couple that are "other".

It amounts now to about 36% of my graduating class are already dead.

But then I remember statistics from somewhere that you follow 100 people from age 20 to 65 and 37 of those never live to see the age of 65. Only about 10 are really self-sufficient, and only 1 could be considered "rich". And the remainder are either still working or are dependent on some kind of public assistance.

Neither of my parents made it to even 60. So I feel like I'm on unexplored ground now that more than half my life has been lived after they were gone.

It made me more risk averse in a lot of areas compared to most people who go out and take big risks and make lifestyle choices that will greatly shorten their lifespan and quality of life. Thus, I have avoided tobacco and alcohol, and numerous risky behaviors that others indulge in while calling me a "square" who doesn't know how to have fun.

WALTER784

10/18/21

Showtalk said...

Car/motorcycle accidents, drug overdoses, suicide and murder probably account for a good majority of younger adults.

FWIW

WALTER784

10/19/21

$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S) said...

It amounts now to about 36% of my graduating class are already dead.

But then I remember statistics from somewhere that you follow 100 people from age 20 to 65 and 37 of those never live to see the age of 65. Only about 10 are really self-sufficient, and only 1 could be considered "rich". And the remainder are either still working or are dependent on some kind of public assistance.

Neither of my parents made it to even 60. So I feel like I'm on unexplored ground now that more than half my life has been lived after they were gone.

Wow... those are some stats. May I ask what your age is? Because I know that as we get older... we tend to loose more people so if you're in your mid 70's or older... then 36% wouldn't seem so high. My father had his 70 year reunion and 12 people showed up but I don't know the size of his graduating class.

I'm 63 now and we had a graduating class of 1200... and at our 40 year reunion (2016), they mentioned 124 people had died and that they were still unable to contact another 80 people. So even if the 80 we have been unable to contact were to be included in the dead... that would still be only 17% of my graduating class. If they were not included, it would be only 10%!

My mother passed away at 83 and my father is still alive at 92... and his mother lived until 97!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

10/19/21

That number seems high but could be common.