Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever driven a manual shift t...   The Social You: Interactive

Started Nov-21 by WALTER784; 443 views.
WALTER784

Nov-21

CHUCKLE...

Corvette... wow... nice.

I bet you were totally pissed. But hey, it was an open/empty school parking lot so you had plenty of room to practice.

I bet you tore him a new one the next time you saw him! (* LOL *)

You don't want to be on ice without studless tires or chains... especially on hilly roads... which I think accounts for 95% or more of the roads in Colorado.

FWIW

Jeri (azpaints)

Nov-21

Oh do I remember the half clutch method.  Drag Racers used that years ago when my brother was racing.  The early Ford broncos s why Im a dodge truck fan!

very interesting on the two license information!  So a dual license wasn't available?

Jeri (azpaints)

Nov-21

I loved that car!  Major foot surgery put an end to it.  Young and dual income no kids.

I got to drive some fun cars in my 20s and have always loved a good car.  

Surprisingly the Vette was really good on icey roads...low to the ground and fabulous steering and turn ratio.  I never had chains on it but work to home was 5 miles of flat road.   

WALTER784

Nov-21

I'd never heard about it before my son told me.

When my wife and I got our licenses, they didn't have the two types of licenses. So we can drive both standard and automatic, but the driving schools that offer the training charge more for the manual shift than the automatic shift.

And with exception of sports cars and large buses, dump trucks, etc., almost all cars and trucks sold on the market today are automatic transmission.

FWIW

WALTER784

Nov-21

Well, Vettes have the super wide back tires which offers more traction... especially on snow/ice.

My grandfather was a Ford salesman and my father was a mechanic at Ford. So the only cars we had in our family were all Fords. My brother has a Boss 302 Mustang.

FWIW

Jeri (azpaints)

Nov-21

Manual shift can be more easily damaged (looking innocently at "stripped gear").  LOL I remember being at a stop sign on a decent hill and not getting the clutch/gas combo right and back sliding under the front end of an jacked up pickup.  No damage to either vehicle...not a scratch.  The guy behind me was so relieved.  So was I.  I still remember how proud I was when I learned to upshift!

WALTER784

Nov-22

I've heard gears grinding numerous times throughout my life (other people's cars), but have never stripped one myself. But as my dad was a mechanic... I remember him showing me the stripped gears he replaced on numerous occasions. Some had just one or a few teeth rounded off or missing... others had almost no teeth at all! (* LOL *)

When I was younger, there used to be this really wide dirt road just behind where my high school was. It wasn't really travelled on very much but it was quite wide. I would go out there and do some figure 8's on that dirt road time and again. But one time, I had the side brake on as I revved up the engine, popped the clutch at the same time I released the side brake and just heard this large clunk... my speedometer showed me doing over 80MPH in under 1.2 seconds... (* LOL *) Yeah... but the car wasn't moving... just the speedometer! (* CHUCKLE *) No matter what gear I put it in, the car just wouldn't move.

I had to walk about a mile and a half to the nearest house in the area, called my dad, told him what the symptoms of my car were. When I told him, the first thing he asked me was where were you doing the figure 8's... (* LOL *) I didn't even tell him that I was doing figure 8's, but he knew. So I told him my location and he said that he too used to do figure 8's on that same dirt road himself when he was younger. He then said I probably stripped the spider gear in the rear transmission gear box because that's what he did.

So he comes out with a tow rope, hooks it to my car and tows me back home. He was going to drop the gear box out from under the car, but you have to take the rear tires and axles off first. That's when he discovered the problem. It wasn't the spider gear like he originally thought, but the steel axle had literally splintered which meant no traction to the tires and that's why the speedometer would move but the car wouldn't.

He said that in all his years as a mechanic, he had never every seen an axle splintered like that. He's seen broken axels before, but never on the scale of mine. Regardless, I was grounded for 3 days until he could get a new axel and replace the splintered one.

So stripped gears... no for me... but totally splintered axels... yes! (* LOL *)

Boy does that bring back some good memories.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

Nov-22

You are a racer!

Showtalk
Host

Nov-22

You need a license for a manual? That seems extreme.

Jeri (azpaints)

Nov-22

Only 3 days?  Wow, your dad was a nice guy!