Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you agree parents of school shooter, Ethan Crumbley, should also be arrested?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 12/3/21 by Showtalk; 2531 views.
Showtalk
Host

12/9/21

I don’t have much empathy for them. Even less now. Maybe they decided he has no chance so why spend anything on him?

Marci (marcinmin)

12/9/21

All I can see so far is they care more about themselves. It isn't as if Ethan is a career criminal. They should be getting him mental health assistance as well.

Showtalk
Host

12/9/21

They may not be able to offer him mental health services since he’s in jail. Now it’s up to the legal system to do that.  A friend who is a judge said high profile cases always go to very competent public defenders, so he may get better legal representation than he could have otherwise.  It’s possible the person the parents are using did not want to defend him.

If he is mentally ill, like schizophrenic or bipolar and was undiagnosed, both the school and parents could have some liability for not identifying that. While he’s a little young for a definitive diagnosis, there could have been signs.  He would still go to jail but would get medication and mental health intervention.  He could also get a reduced sentence based on whether he is a future threat or if it was one time thing.  If he was just angry and wanted to hurt someone, he won’t.

As much as I hate school shooters, they are among the worst kind of criminals, we usually find out later they were bullied or badly mistreated by other students. Schools need to do more than say they don’t tolerate bullying. They need to have zero tolerance for it.

WALTER784

12/10/21

Showtalk said...

If he is mentally ill, like schizophrenic or bipolar and was undiagnosed, both the school and parents could have some liability for not identifying that.

Not to mention purchasing a gun for a mentally ill boy!

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

12/10/21

That is what isn’t clear. The father said it was for himself but the boy said it was his. 

WALTER784

12/10/21

Showtalk said...

That is what isn’t clear. The father said it was for himself but the boy said it was his. 

>>>Jennifer Crumbley posted about buying a gun for her son in the days before the school shooting<<<

The father may have bought it, but the mother posted about it "a gun for her son"... not "a gun for her husband"!

AND... something I didn't know until I read this article...

>>>a former neighbor of James and Jennifer Crumbley, who, like their son, are in the Oakland County jail, told the Detroit Free Press that the Crumbleys started displaying concerning behavior years ago that prompted her to make a complaint with Children's Protective Services. 

"When they were gone, he would come knock on our door," Kayla LeMieux told the newspaper of Ethan when his parents would leave him at home alone to go drinking at bars in 2014 and 2015.<<<

So 15-year old Eathan would have been 7 or 8 years old in 2014 and 2015 when the parents left him at home to go drinking.

The parents had several DUI charges in Florida which means that they were drunk enough to be charged... they come home to the 7 or 8 year old they left at home alone and well... my suspicion just wants me to ask whether there was any domestic violence when the drunk parents got home. Might help explain his mental state.

Former Ethan Crumbley neighbor called Children's Protective Services on parents years ago: report | Fox News

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

12/11/21

Now it’s obvious. It’s the parents’ fault.

WALTER784

12/12/21

Yes... finally... light at the end of the tunnel is starting to be seen.

FWIW

Showtalk
Host

12/12/21

We needed more information about them. Now we have it.

WALTER784

12/12/21

Showtalk said...

We needed more information about them. Now we have it.

About the parents... yes...

And now we have a little bit more information about the school too... they've already destroyed some evidence...

Oxford school officials accused of destroying school shooting evidence, judge orders them to preserve it

Michigan school officials at Oxford High School were ordered to preserve social media pages and other evidence in the school shooting case that were allegedly being destroyed. 

"Not only did defendants fail to take necessary steps to preserve the evidence, but they willfully destructed the evidence by deleting the webpages and social media accounts," attorney Nora Hanna wrote in a Friday court filing, according to The Detroit News. "Plaintiffs cannot continue to be blindsided by the defendants by having to search for what evidence is being destroyed or altered."

Lawyers for siblings who survived the school shooting on Nov. 30 asked a U.S. District judge to order school officials to preserve such evidence and have social media companies restore missing profiles and posts. 

Oxford school officials accused of destroying school shooting evidence, judge orders them to preserve it | Fox News

FWIW