Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What do you think about the Biden’s new puppy and rehoming Major?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 12/21/21 by Showtalk; 6614 views.
selzer

12/31/21

Even the Ohio Revised Code, differentiates between a bite that is with provocation, and one that is not.  You're right, a bite that does not break the skin is usually a form of communication.  

As for a dog biting a guy on your property that kicked at him.  Well, I think that falls into management.  In this sue-happy society, I would never leave an animal in a position where the general public can walk up to it and kick it.  A dog that is tethered is often guarding whatever it is tethered to.  That bite was nothing wrong with the dog at all.  And that is not what we are talking about with the Bidens.  If you were there, if a guy tried to kick your dog, it may or may not have chosen that action.  Either way, I would not fault the dog.  

What was the neighbor thinking to do that to your dog when you were obviously not home?  What a weirdo.  

Some of my dogs are outside when I am not home, in kennels, some of those kennels are in my front yard.  Right now Bear (almost 12) and her latest pup (almost 4) share a large kennel surrounding the front and side of my house.  You can get to the front door if you open a gate.  There is another gate to their kennel and to the other kennel from that point.  So far no one has breached the front gate to get to my front door.    I hope that if someone is so stupid as to put their hand through the fencing to get themselves bit, the court system in this country will not put down my dogs or hold me financially responsible for damages.  I just don't see that happening with a dog simply tethered in a front yard.  I worry about dogs being put down.  

selzer

12/31/21

Well, in theory, and when a rescue works well, a dog is rescued from being abandoned due to death or financial hardship, or even an abusive situation, fostered by caring, knowledgeable people, rehabilitated if necessary, and then matched to a family that is properly vetted.  

Unfortunately, there are no requirements to being called a rescue.  Some rescues just grab as many young adoptable dogs as they can and turn them around as quickly as they can for profit.  Other rescues fall into hoarding where they cannot find anyone who should be the owner of any of their dogs, and become overwhelmed and the dogs end up suffering.  Many rescues are people with lots of heart but little knowledge, they do not know how to evaluate a dog or match a dog to the people.  

There is also this, and that is when people have a dog that they failed with, in order to drop them in a shelter, they either cannot disclose aggressive issues or the shelter will not accept the dog, or the shelter will immediately euthanize the dog because they cannot take the risk of someone being bitten.  So dogs get dropped off without information, and often the shelter environment and even if there is any time at all in a foster home, there is not enough for the dog to become relaxed and show the behaviors that got him dumped in the first place.  But after a month or a couple of months in the new home, the dog begins to display the behaviors, and sometimes the consequences are dire.

And then there is the fact that humans want to blame something or something, rather than entertain the idea that they didn't do the right things for this animal this time.  Some start out with a rescue out of the kindness of their hearts and with pity treat the dog a certain way because of what the dog has been through.  Dogs live in the moment.  We need to treat dogs like they haven't been through anything, like they are here, right now, and we need to deal with good and bad behavior without respect to the background.  But people aren't like that.  I think too many folks are more likely to say, "Oh you poor thing," and allow way too many behaviors to ride.  So when they end up with an unmanageable dog, they are likely to blame the dog or the background of the dog, rather than their management of the situation.  

At the end of the day many rescues do not fare well, sometimes because of the rescue organization, and sometimes not because of the rescue organization.  But the new owners, their family, their friends, their acquainances, are all going to be affected by the negative experience.  Some of these will want to get their new dog as a puppy with a "clean slate."  

Showtalk
Host

12/31/21

Someone might give up a good, trained, stable  German Shpherd to a rescue, but they wouldn’t just dump them in a shelter.  I’m leery of shelter dogs.

WALTER784

12/31/21

selzer said...

As for a dog biting a guy on your property that kicked at him.  Well, I think that falls into management.  In this sue-happy society, I would never leave an animal in a position where the general public can walk up to it and kick it.  A dog that is tethered is often guarding whatever it is tethered to.  That bite was nothing wrong with the dog at all.  And that is not what we are talking about with the Bidens.  If you were there, if a guy tried to kick your dog, it may or may not have chosen that action.  Either way, I would not fault the dog. 

I didn't fault our dog at all. Our dog was tethered such that there as at least 8' ~ 10' between the end of the tether and our front door. (i.e. He had to walk over to where our dog was tethered for our dog to be able to bite him.) Had he just rang the doorbell and walked away back out to the street, our dog would not have been able to bite him. But he purposefully moved closer to our dog and then kicked at her.

I didn't apologize to him. I just asked him how our dog could have bit him if he didn't walk up to our dog because our dog cannot reach the front door. And that's when he said that he kicked at our dog because he hates dogs. I guess he hates them even more now, but I think he'll think twice before ever attempting to kick a dog again. He moved away a few years later and I've not seen him since... good riddance. 

selzer said...

What was the neighbor thinking to do that to your dog when you were obviously not home?  What a weirdo.  

I have no idea, but as I said above, he moved away a few years later.

At least he didn't report it to the police and that was the last I heard of him. 

FWIW

WALTER784

12/31/21

It's all really sad for the owners, the shelters where the pets are kept and even more so for the pets themselves.

Moved from a home that neglected the dog to a shelter that doesn't properly care for the dog and just feeds them until somebody wants to take them home... if they can ever find anybody.

Dogs just basically want love and affection from somebody who they can love back and express their affection to as well.

If only dogs could talk a lot of the problems you mentioned could easily be overcome.

My dog actually talked to me. She had four things she would say to me.

1) I need food or water.

2) I need to go for a walk. She would pee in our yard, but would wait for us to take her for a walk before she pooped.

3) I'm happy you're home... pet me.

And this one took a while to figure out, but...

4) Somebody came up to our house while nobody was at home.

Her barks, whines and body motion spoke volumes to me. Sadly, neither my wife nor our 3 kids could figure that out.

FWIW

selzer

1/1/22

The thing is, a lot of rescues will not take dogs from owners.  They take them only from shelters.  I would think that trying to have a reputable breed-specific rescue to help find your dog a new home would be more responsible, but a lot of rescues don't take owner turn-ins, and shelters can kill owner turn-ins before you drive out of the parking lot.  

Showtalk
Host

Jan-2

The GSD rescues here will only take a dog from a shelter or an owner.  They will not take a found dog.  Here’s the shelters call the rescue groups when they get a purebred so they are never available from shelters, only from rescues. Is each state diferent?

selzer

Jan-2

I think each state is different, or it is up to the states, for publicly-funded shelters.  Like our state revised code requires a dog to be held so many days, I think three, unless it is an owner turn-in, or if they can find a license on the dog it is two weeks.  Since our county does not have a government run shelter, they have to pay to board dogs in the privately run shelter.  

I don't wear collars on my dogs, dangerous.  Some are chipped, some are not.  But a shelter is not required to look for or call you if they find a chip, only the license.  If your dog is chipped and you find the dog, I think you can prove ownership by the chip and get your dog back in most instances, but the shelter does not have to look for or honor the chip.   It's weird.  I think it could be done better.  

Jeri (azpaints)

Jan-2

Just a note...we have two American Aussies.  Both are kid loving, friendly take me home with you beauties.  Their ID tags both read "Dogs name, home phone, cellphone and in caps CHIPPED".  The reasoning I used for that was "Chipped" tells an honest finder to take our pup to the nearest vet for ID:  the second was that maybe a not so honest person wouldn't want to risk taking a chipped dog to a vet...so they won't take them.

Showtalk
Host

Jan-2

Here, the hold period is six days but if shelters think there is no owner they can release a dog after 72 hrs. They can also neuter an intact dog without the owner’s permission.  So you might get your breeding dog back sterilized.