Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What do you think about the Biden’s new puppy and rehoming Major?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 12/21/21 by Showtalk; 6639 views.
Showtalk
Host

12/23/21

I always thought Bush was a bozo so I’m not sure why you brought him up.  I never mentioned his dog.

Jeri (azpaints)

12/23/21

I'm almost as old as Biden and it irritated me that people feel that he shouldn't have a dog because of his address or his age.  I suspect the dog will be receiving professional training, as most of his dogs have.  The jury is out on the training that a three month old puppy should have attained from what I've read.  According to the internet I should be in a nursing home under lock and key, with no pets.  According to my two dogs, Neko the cat and the temporary visitor Flip the cat, they feel no additional pets should be allwed cause they don't want to share the contented tummies, belly rubs, treats and walks with anyone else.  

This falls under my "generalization" is dumb thinking.  Joe Biden has access to pros, family, friends and a support system that will undoubtedly be mindful of the dogs best care.  Generalization I dislike "he's too old" and "he lives in the wrong address".  

Jeri (azpaints)

12/23/21

Because he was the only Republican I could think of recently that had a dog and I suspect some of the anti-Biden dog comments are partisan, not made to help the dog but in judgment.

Showtalk
Host

12/23/21

German Shepherds should start working from about 9 weeks, but should have handling and exposure to environmental earlier. They are more susceptible to poor early handling or lack of exposure than more forgiving breeds.  They should learn from Day 1 to be on a loose leash or they should not leashed at all. Age isn’t the issue, time, awareness and strength are important when training a dog like that. All breeds are not alike. If they miss that window with German Shepherd the damage can’t be undone.  That is why so many land in shelters.

• Edited December 23, 2021 6:47 pm  by  Showtalk
Showtalk
Host

12/23/21

No. It’s breed first, owner second.  They have been woefully bad handling Major.  Champ seemed alright.

Jeri (azpaints)

12/23/21

For all the public knows this puppy has started training and the walk picture was play time.  

Jeri (azpaints)

12/23/21

So you believe that it is always a bad owner never a simple conflict of personality?   Getting the dog a good home is responsible ownership.  They could have dumped him and claimed he died.

Showtalk
Host

12/23/21

A trained dog doesn’t forget training when it’s playing. The dog pulled him and was not leash trained.

Showtalk
Host

12/23/21

A good owner would never have put an anxious German Shepherd into that situation.  They may have owned GSDs before but they don’t understand the breed. I’m trying to be polite about it.  A few of us from the other forum have owned dogs like Major. They needed strong leadership and management and to never be put into a situation where they had to interact with strangers in a regular basis.  He was a rescued dog, not one with a good pedigree and strong nerves.  I’m very relieved they found another home for him.  But they are also clueless.  

WALTER784

12/24/21

Jeri (azpaints) said...

So you believe that it is always a bad owner never a simple conflict of personality?

Training a dog not to bite a human is the utmost priority of a dog owner. If they can't do that themselves, then they should have the dog trained by experts who can train them properly.

Jeri (azpaints) said...

Getting the dog a good home is responsible ownership.

A good home would have taught the dog not to bite or had professionals train him not to bite. On that front... it looks like a bad owner!

FWIW