Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Best way to read a green?   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Jun-25 by BOGEYSBGONE; 300 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-25

If you're a decent putter - what are some of your best tips for reading a green?  

Robb

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Jun-25

Plumb bob and walk your line.  Not necessarily in that order.

Dave P

BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-26

...and now that makes it even more confusing to me.   LOL.   Larry?????    Lasaarrryyyyy....???

Robb

Hammer Dog (jaime59)
Host

Has Larry made the jump?

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Jun-26

He said he was going to try on Father's Day weekend.  Just checked.  He's here.  LARRY3172

Dave P

Tom0956i

Jun-26

I've got a good eye for green reading but my speed and distance control is off. I did that fingers in the air stuff for a while but I find that plumb bobbing gives me surprisingly good results.

wrxgolfr

Jun-26

BEST single tip IMO is to look at the put from both sides of the hole before choosing a line or speed.

(I'm likely not a "good" putter, but I putt better than I drive, chip, or hit long irons for sure.)

BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-26

I understand the idea - as with everything I assume that practice is the key?

Robb

BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-26

That's a very good one - I used to do that - and stick with that read.   Sometimes you read it behind the hole and then when you see it standing over the ball - you swear it goes the other way!

Robb

LPS123

Jun-28

One thing that I’ve stopped doing - using the line on the ball for the line of the putt. I found I was so line focused that often I’d totally screw up the speed. I’m very much a feel player in all aspects of the game, and that was just too mechanical. I do still line up the ball on the tee just to make sure I don’t line up totally wrong, especially with the driver. But once I’m set up, I don’t look at the line anymore.