Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Bureaucrats Send Out Stimulus Checks   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Jun-26 by MikeJA; 205 views.
MikeJA

Jun-26

According a report from the Government Accountability Office, the IRS sent out approximately 1.1 million checks to deceased people, because of course they did. That amounts to approximately  $1.3 Billion dollars.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Boomslang (DaveP8)

Jun-26

I heard there may not be a way to recover that money legally.

Dave P

They deserve those checks because they are voters.

Crothers1

Jun-26

Separately, I see the Trump Administration is going to stop the extra $600 a week unemployment benefit check a week early.     Says people have to go back to work.

Can he do that when the language was created by Congress?

bcj1m

Jun-26

How would a dead person open an envelope or cash a check?

If someone else did it, that's a crime.

Electronic payments can be reversed.

If someone removed $$ from a dead persons account, that might be a crime.

ALso, who runs Treasury?

How is every "bad" news item the fault of civil servants while every "good" news item attributable to Donald J Trump?  He has the best gig ever. All the credit and no blame.

In reply toRe: msg 5
MikeJA

Jun-26

Right, it's Trump's fault that the bureaucrats didn't have enough sense to take dead people off of the list.

In reply toRe: msg 6
bcj1m

Jun-26

How would they know a person was dead?

Hey, uh, Steve, what about people that might have died since they filed taxes last year? 

Mnuchin: Send those checks out! Oh, after Trumps signs this letter, hang on. Now send them!!

In reply toRe: msg 7
MikeJA

Jun-26

As I understand it, Social Security is supposed to be notified immediately after a death.

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Jun-27

Executive order? $600 a week is almost the same amount as the maximum benefit here.  Pure stupidity by congress, IMHO.  One size doesn't fit all.

Dave P

Bob (MULLYMAN)

Jun-29

I file taxes for a number of elderly at my church, when a few of them informed me that they received checks for spouses that passed away last year, I did some research. It appears that they used the filing information for tax year 2018 as the source for checks. A few did get the money taken back from them that we re direct deposited. I do not believe that the government used the Social Security information for the stimulus checks.