Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Oh no...graphite shafts...   Golf Equipment

Started Jun-27 by Luvpings (luvpings1); 1032 views.
In reply toRe: msg 15

Final update.

The Zing2's have beaten back another challenger.

I sold the G25s and Vokey wedges a few weeks ago.   I did give the G25's every chance..probably 25 rounds of play.  I never really found they were any easier on my joints (yeah I know they are but maybe it wasn't golfing causing the very very very slight discomfort), and my struggle with the UW seemed to creep into the PW as well.  Frankly the same story from previous G series irons I owned (G, Gmax, G400).  And yeah I was liking the baby draw and the bit longer distance from the middle down, but the wedge end of the bag was just a mess frankly as the last few rounds I was using the 50* UW and my 52* Zing2 SW.  

Luckily I was able to net a little profit of $45, but even  $25 loss would have been acceptable.

No doubt another challenger will step up at some point in the future, but in the meantime I am once again enjoying the Zing2's..so much so that I put the 3 and 4 irons back in the bag and the GMax 4 and 5 irons are now in the closet ( GMax is 3* stronger than Zing2).  

Now, back to that driver!

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Aug-2

The Zing 2 may be one of the easiest to hit irons ever made.  I wish I still had mine.

I have my primary set...and another backup set, both 3-PW, SW, LS and L wedge.  Going forward I will be looking for a set with factory graphite shafts.  Hard to find in decent condition.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Aug-2

I am getting the itch to build a set of irons.  

I am not sure what I am going to build, but am thinking of doing something a bit different.  I really REALLY love my SL irons.  I do not care for the 5 and 6 iron being so short.  I want to build a set with the 5 and 6 iron at 38.5" long. The 7-9 iron at 37.5" long, and the PW and GW at 36.5" long.  I think the 5 and 6 irons would really fly high and allow me to retain the same amount of control, and I would continue with the 7-9, and really see things sharpen up with the PW and GW.

I may need to find a set of Cobra Forged One Length heads for sale, as I am pretty sure the head weighting would be all wrong for regular clubs...or not...hell, I don't know.

I am contemplating using steel shafts for this build based solely on budget, but I do want a decent steel shaft.  I have hit irons with the KBS C-Taper and really liked the ball flight, but they are a bit 'harsh'.  I know that KBS has re-released the 'original' Rifle Profile shafts on their website and that Kim Braly was the brains behind Royal Precision.  I may need to give those a go.  I figure for a taper tip shaft I'd just put a 4 iron shaft in the 5 and 6, and I would put a 6 iron shaft in the 7-9 iron and an 8 iron shaft in the PW and GW and then just butt-trim to length to re-create the old RP Spinner.

I actually emailed Miura about having the MB-001 done in the same weight heads for SL builds and they responded that they did this in the past, but do not any longer...a set of SL Miura blades, forged from there mythical steel that is mined in Japan???? HELL YES....but they don't do that.

I know I am rambling, but I really do like the SL irons, but I don't think they are 'perfect'. I think the longer 5 and 6 would be a benefit as would the shorter PW and GW.  Their performance is not bad now, in fact, it's quite good, but I think it could be better.

I need to get another heat gun, and a rubber club holder for my vice, and set up my belt grinder/sander again.  

I also want to get some cool ferrules.  I found some red, white and blue ones that are pretty cool.  I figure those and some cool red white and blue grips would be badass.

Tom0956i

Aug-4

which KBS is built along the lines of the Rifles?

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Aug-4

I made a mistake...I had multiple windows open, and it was actually True Temper/Project X that has them.

https://www.truetemper.com/products/iron-shafts-rifle/

The closest thing KBS has is the C-Taper, which seems to be like the original Project X, and the FLT, which seems to approximate the Tour Flight Rifles.

Instead of doing something hard, why not try doing something easy?

If I were you, I'd just get a couple of shaft extensions and add an inch to the 5 and 6.  If you were local, I could blow your current grips off add the length and blow the grips back on.

One note about extending graphite, the extensions have a tendency to come out so people have a bad opinion of them, but I think I figured it out.  They wrap the shaft on a mandrel, which has a release agent on it.  The epoxy doesn't stick very well on the inside. I started sanding the inside and wiping out with acetone and the problem went away.

YES, adding an inch will make them 6 swingweights heavier. BFD.  Do you feel as if an iron gets DRAMATICALLY lighter when you grip down an inch?

The added length will improve head feel, make the shaft at least a half a flex softer (like soft-stepping does) and almost certainly bring up the trajectory.  They'll be ~1* more upright but I bet you barely notice.

Re. the two wedges, do the same thing, only slap some lead tape on them, or if you want to be "daring," wrap a strip of athletic tape around the butt of the grip, and pretend that part is gone.  Go to the range and hit them at that length.

FWIW, getting back the six swingweights from cutting off an inch requires about 12" of standard lead tape.  When I don't have any, I go get some stick-on wheel weights and add a couple of 1/4 ouncers.  That's actually more like 7 swingweights, but I can't tell.

The only bad thing about them is they have a short life on a club, I've lost dozens of them tinkering, never once saw where one went.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Aug-4

I know you just bought a set used, but the things that can be done with graphite shaft to customize ball flight, spin, feel, etc. are pretty cool.

Today's graphite shafts certainly aren't like the ones just a decade ago.  

I will admit, I miss the days of just being able to buy a set of RP Rifles for about $11 a shaft and DGS300's for under $10 bucks...but I do think we are getting what we pay for in some cases.

I won't mess with my Callaway wedges, but I really think I want to reshaft a couple of those SCOR wedges with the Paderson wedge flex shafts and then adjust the lie angle up 2*. I really like having the mid iron profile shafts in my short irons...it just feels better at impact and I get the results I want.

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Aug-4

The cool thing about Edel's...they have a little weight port on the back that you can change out to adjust it up or down.  Here's a shot of the back of the club.

I sent them an email asking them the question about lengthening the 5 and 6 iron a tick and making the changes, and am waiting to hear back from them.

Also...those Edel's are not cheap, I am not about to just start messing with them without a good plan.

Besides...I need a project to build out to keep me busy...I may find an old set of clubs or cheap heads and then tinker a bit.

I use to live not too far from this place..

http://www.usgolfmfg.com

Back in the day, I decided to build my wife a set of Callaway knock-offs...I think they are called Warlord or some such name.  They also had Tommy Mann driver heads with bubble shafts in the TM dark orange that was their color at that time.  I built myself one and a friend loved it and bought it from me for cost.  Then he took it south and came back with a  few more orders.  It was a great way to keep interested in golf during those midwest winters.  They new exactly what they were (basically junk) but we had fun with them anyway.   IIRC they also sold the Integra heads.  The shafts were suppose to be the real deal Tru temper, but i doubted that.  Loved the tinkering aspect of it all.  I would not mind getting into club repair, etc, but I know I would need some formal schooling, and I know it would be almost zero profit.  But the biggest thing keeping me from doing anymore than thinking it about it is how cheap and demanding the average golfer is...just don't want to deal with the clientele that would come into such shop.  I see them lined up 3-4 deep sometimes at the local EWs trying to get the guy to do a re-grip of an iron set why they wait, or a "quick" reshaft of a driver knowing he has 5-minute epoxy.  Just no.