Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How much grip pressure?   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Jun-27 by BOGEYSBGONE; 225 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-27

If strongest/tightest grip pressure is 10 and weakest/lightest is 1 - how would you guesstimate your grip pressure?

I think my was about eleventy.   Too much.    No lubricity of the wrists and joints....no good for golf maybe.  I think I will dial it back to a 2 or 3 with spiderman fingers....see what happens.

Robb

diz11

Jun-27

I think it was Sam Snead that said to hold the club like it's a bird - tight enough so it doesn't get away, but loose enough that you don't kill the bird.

diz

In reply toRe: msg 2
BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-27

diz11 said...

I think it was Sam Snead that said to hold the club like it's a bird - tight enough so it doesn't get away, but loose enough that you don't kill the bird.

diz

I think I'm gripping a bigazz buzzard. 

Robb

I think it is completely counter-productive to think that us amateurs should be able to play with a consistent, "ideal" grip pressure.

Beyond the obvious fact that different shot call for significantly different grip pressure, we don't practice 40-50 hours a week, and we come to the golf course every day with a different state of mind.

When I am playing as good as I can, I usually feel like I am barely doing anything with my hands. but some days that swing results in WAY too much hands action, which produces the death shot, a pull hook.

For me, on thing that's been helpful is writing down what I was thinking at a time when I was playing well. I have copies of that advice to myself from 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2017. Some of those are prefaced with "Swing thoughts while playing okay."

It's interesting that every time I get to playing pretty well and sit down to make notes, then compare them to previous editions, the highlights are the same.

Anyway, my grip pressure notes are mostly short game related, as in "Dead hands are fine for some shots but a little wrist action is better. You have better feel and more spin with soft hands and some 'snap.'"

Also re. putting, "Soft hands give a nicer roll. Firm hands prevent hitting pulls."

Over and over for full shots, I tell my future self that, "The correct feel is as if there's no right hand release at all."

Some days I show up at the course with a calm mind, and can make a swing that feels like "nothing" and the ball goes as far as I can hit it, and where I am aimed.

Other days the only thing that keeps the dreaded lefts away is squeezing the grip like a maniac with the last three fingers of my left hand.

Sometimes I even end up hanging on for dear life to keep my hands from turning over.

Grip pressure is a myth.  Left thumb up, left thumb down.

Do you think about grip pressure when swinging an axe into a piece of wood?  No, the handle is an extension of your wrists and you sling the head into the wood.

http://www.hermanwilliamsgolf.com/golf-backswing-lesson-flat-wrist-top/

Wrist Cocked - Radial Deviation

Wrist Uncocked - Ulnar deviation

After some thought my average grip pressure would probably be 8.37847264595 out of 10.

In reply toRe: msg 7
Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Jun-27

You can start with a light grip, because we will grip tighter during the swing. 

Also compare standard size grips to midsize.   One may be more comfortable than the other.    

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Jun-28

When I'm fighting gravity, it's a 10. When I work with gravity, it's a 2.

Dave P8

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jun-28

Probably about a 3.5 for me.