Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

HCQ shown to be effective for WuFlu   Futility Folder:Politics

Started Jun-27 by ToraMori; 203 views.
ToraMori

Jun-27

https://theprint.in/health/hcq-breakthrough-icmr-finds-its-effective-in-preventing-coronavirus-expands-its-use/427583/

New Delhi: The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the country’s apex body in the field, has found that consuming the drug hydroxychloroquine reduces the chances of getting infected with Covid-19.

As a result, ICMR released an advisory Friday to expand the usage of HCQ — an anti-malarial drug — as a preventive treatment against the novel coronavirus.

The conclusion has been drawn on the basis of three studies conducted by the ICMR.

The advisory suggests surveillance workers, paramilitary and police personnel, as well as medical staff working in non-Covid hospitals and blocks to start consuming the pill as “preventive therapy”.

MikeJA

Jun-27

The Indians have to be making this up, trying to suck up to Trump.

RipperX

Jun-27

That link was a month old. Any more recent data? Still being used in India? I know its not used much here.

NineMileSkid

Jun-29

If I could get my hands on some, I'd be taking it.

MikeJA

Jun-29

Why would we want a cheap drug when we can have this?

California-based drugmaker Gilead Sciences announced its pricing plans for remdesivir, an antiviral COVID-19 drug candidate, saying the treatment will cost $520 per dose for U.S. private insurance companies and $390 per dose for the U.S. government.

For a majority of people who receive a five-day treatment of the drug using six vials (based on current patterns), the total for patients with private insurance in the U.S. will be $3,120. For those under U.S. government health programs the total will be $2,340 per patient.

• Edited June 29, 2020 3:10 pm  by  MikeJA
In reply toRe: msg 5
j (Dustdevil8)

Jun-29

Nice...

Beginning to think taking our chances with the Chinese might be better.

In reply toRe: msg 5
RipperX

Jun-29

Better hope they don't cancel the ACA!!

Seriously though, there is more evidence for remdesivir, than for HCQ. I'll take that one please, even if I have to pay out of pocket.

• Edited June 29, 2020 4:44 pm  by  RipperX
MikeJA

Jun-29

I wouldn't call the trial results for remdesivir remarkable.  Recovery time reduced by 4 days and mortality rate reduced from 11.6 percent to 8 percent.

But if you're lying there suffering, it may be worth spending the money.  I'm sure the drug company set the price at the highest point they thought they could get away with.

In reply toRe: msg 8
RipperX

Jun-29

Well I'm a physician and altho I don't have any experience treating Covid, those numbers don't look too bad and probably represent the most encouraging news we've seen yet. Don't know how the pricing is set or how much has gone into R+D. Agree that isn't discount pricing though!