Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Describe how YOU generate power?   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Jun-28 by BOGEYSBGONE; 528 views.
BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-28

Open ended question:  How do you generate power for your golf swing?  What do you do in the backswing?  in the downswing?  What does it feel like?  And When do you do it?

I am in search of an "athletic" swing - doing things that I think I know how to do -but generating results in terms of distance and accuracy that I think are reasonable.   I have come to the conclusion that I might be doing it wrong.   :).  I was a former pitcher, lacrosse player (attack); tennis player (3.5 rating) and played all sorts of ball/stick/pass/throw games.   But none of those motions seems to reliably produce "distance" even though I think I am capable.  I used to be able to hit the ball far enough...and now...not so much.  So I'd like to hear from GEAers personal experience - and willing to learn!

Would love to hear the perspectives of other people...there are no wrong answers!

Thanks.

Robb 

Art.. (ArtMBGolf)

Jun-28

This is hard to answer.  We each have the power we create in our swing.   

Besides lessons, you can copy the pros you see on TV.  Complete the backswing, turn hips, press feet into the ground.   

A lot depends on if you have lost distance from age, laying off golf for years, still using old steel shaft driver, etc.     

You may be worried about making good contact or hitting it straight, so you are swing to easy/careful.  If this is the case, go to the range and 
let it fly, to decide how hard you can swing and still have some control.     

You could try a weighted practice stick, to build up golf strength. 

Boomslang (DaveP8)

Jun-28

Smooth swing with a pause at the top. Club is pretty much a whip.

Dave P8

There's no such thing as power in a golf swing.

There is only speed, and everything you do to be more powerful is going to slow the clubhead down.

BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-28

ken1putt (kenoneputt) said...

There's no such thing as power in a golf swing.

There is only speed, and everything you do to be more powerful is going to slow the clubhead down.

OK - then THAT.  :).   How do you make speed?   What do YOU do to make speed?  What does it feel like?  When do you do it?   What is the biggest contributor that YOU impart to create speed at impact with the club head?

Robb

Charlie6D

Jun-28

I think that for amateur golfers who are age 40 or over, they would do well to try to copy the smooth, flowing swing of Sam Snead rather than trying to copy the young power-hitter pros of today like Dustin Johnson.  Let's face it.  You're not 30 years old any more and you don't spend 5 hours a day working out in the gym, so why try to copy the swing of someone who does fit that profile?

Flexibility and limberness are a whole lot more important to the average golfer today than muscles and power.  

Charlie---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Edited June 28, 2020 7:00 pm  by  Charlie6D
HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jun-28

If you played those sports and you were any sort of competitive, then your swing really must look like a monkey f*cking a coconut right now.  That's ok, I've been there and will be there again.  You've got the speed/power/ability to hit the ball further but you've got power leaks in your swing and you need to plug them.  

Without seeing your swing, it's hard to diagnose, but I'll tell you what happens when I start 'leaking'.  I will address the ball and my feet will be pointed to the left of the target. To my eye...they look correct, but they are NOT.  My shoulders and hips are in line with the target.  They feel like I am going to slightly to the right but they are dead at the target.  When I swing, I get one of three results....either a very weak straight shot by some stroke of luck that I timed everything right, a weak push/fade to the right, or a big yanking power pull hook to the left. 

When I address the ball and get my feet truly in line with where I want it to go, which looks WAY right of the target, and then get my shoulders and hips in line with my feet...I get a VERY solid shot that flies high and straight and is laughingly long compared to the other result.  I was struggling to hit a 7 iron 145-150 with the 'out of balance' technique and found myself hitting my 7 iron an easy 165 with the 'in line' technique, and with what felt like a WHOLE lot less 'effort'.

After watching the video of correct hip movement, I would bet you money that when I am out of alignment with my feet/hips/shoulders, I am getting MASSIVE hip/spine movement towards the ball that is causing inconsistent contact instead of the rotational movement I get when things are aligned and I get SOLID contact and results.

jmc (jmc5131)

Jun-28

Not sure if this will help but here is my experience. 

I lost a ton of weight in the past 4 years and also a lot of distance in golf. 
I finally got serious and have been working on my game.  I got a radar (Swing Caddy SC300) because I wanted accurate feedback instead of feel. After many range sessions the thing I found was my stance was wider than needed and I was very tense during the swing. I started swinging a sand wedge very easy with my feet maybe 6” apart. Not a full swing but close. The narrow stance helped me turn instead of slide and the easy swing let me be very relaxed. After just a few sessions my distance was very close to my “hard” swing of last year. I get in a rhythm where I try to hit it shorter and the ball flies further. It really has been remarkable.

A full swing last year would go 90 yds or so. My last few range sessions look like this:

Carry (avg). Carry (max). Swing speed  Ball Speed. Launch angle. Smash factor. Apex

81.0.              92.6.               62.2.               72.5.             40.8.                 1.17.               82.8 ft

I’m not done yet but felt like this is a breakthrough in my game. 

Hope this helps.

John

Stoneded

Jun-29

I think the most important part of the swing is to get the sequence correct.  Specifically to start the through swing with the lower body.  Actually very similar to the way you would have delivered a pitch.  I saw that you were enamored with ToriMori's bend/straighten the right arm philosophy.  That's all well and good.  You can throw a ball that way also.  But how much oomph are you going to get on it?

BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-29

jmc (jmc5131) said...

Not sure if this will help but here is my experience. 

I lost a ton of weight in the past 4 years and also a lot of distance in golf. 
I finally got serious and have been working on my game.  I got a radar (Swing Caddy SC300) because I wanted accurate feedback instead of feel. After many range sessions the thing I found was my stance was wider than needed and I was very tense during the swing. I started swinging a sand wedge very easy with my feet maybe 6” apart. Not a full swing but close. The narrow stance helped me turn instead of slide and the easy swing let me be very relaxed. After just a few sessions my distance was very close to my “hard” swing of last year. I get in a rhythm where I try to hit it shorter and the ball flies further. It really has been remarkable.

A full swing last year would go 90 yds or so. My last few range sessions look like this:

Carry (avg). Carry (max). Swing speed  Ball Speed. Launch angle. Smash factor. Apex

81.0.              92.6.               62.2.               72.5.             40.8.                 1.17.               82.8 ft

I’m not done yet but felt like this is a breakthrough in my game. 

Hope this helps.

John

Terrific - that is what I do.   Very helpful thank you!

I typically do a double slide - that feels like rotation.  I'm going to do the feet-together drill with a wedge - and remember to narrow the stance - that's great reminder b/c that's what I do.  Thanks so much.

Robb