Hammer Dog (jaime59)

4GEA (Golf Equipment Aficionados)

Hosted by Hammer Dog (jaime59)

This is the successor forum to the original Golf Equipment Aficionados forum or 4GEA

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

This took me from an 11 handicap to a 5   Swing Instructions, Tips, etc.

Started Jun-28 by ken1putt (kenoneputt); 152 views.

Since we have a lot of good threads going here,  I wanted to share the wisdom that cut my handicap in half when I was in my early 40s.  I started playing young and was a pretty steady in the high seventies to mid eighties for a long time.

But in 1987 I decided not to be fat anymore and lost 85 pounds, going from 240 to 155. The change F'ed up my golf game and I essentially quit for a couple of years. Then I met the woman who is my wife, and our first date was couples golf, she is a very competitive ex-softballer and we started playing in every mixed comp. we could find.

About that time we found the Golf Digest video series and since I had long been a fan of Toski and Flick in print we started watching them.

The Swing For a Lifetime video had a section in it that resonated with me and answered a lot of questions about how to get the golf club in the place it needs to be. It includes a few drills that worked wonders for me as I tried to get the excessive use of my body out of the swing.

Anyway, here's the beginning of the section that I watched hundreds of time over several years as my handicap went down and stayed down in the single digits for 15 years.

It finally went up when I stopped practicing the drills because I had to buy range balls by the bucket, and I am a cheapskate. Now I'm 72, and can't hit it out of my shadow.

But finding this on YouTube makes me think I am destined to play better soon.

Bob Toski & Jim Flick - A Swing for a Lifetime

Golf teaching legends Bob Toski ("The Mighty Mouse," he weighed 125 pounds yet could drive the ball 275 yards with a persimmon wood), and Jim Flick (coach to...

wrxgolfr

Jun-28

Thanks for posting.  I was looking for a video or series to watch with drills. 

HAX (CVeratanictu)

Jun-29

Good video...I want to try that chair drill.

BOGEYSBGONE

Jun-29

HAX (CVeratanictu) said...

Good video...I want to try that chair drill.

...for golf Hax....try it for GOLF.    :)

Robb

It does, in fact last Thursday I used that thought and played as well as I have in months.

Not everyone is ready for simple, however.